• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2008 CSSA Bio Exam Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

JosephW

HSC
Found it easier than expected. What about the rest of you?

Daniel-08

HSC
Re: CSSA Bio exam thoughts

yep. found it way easier:D than expected. communication was very easy and so was the 7 marker in the core;)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Better than expected, there was a couple of things which threw me off, but i think i got through them, we didnt uses to cssa core though. When i first looked at the carbon dioxide question is was like wtf but i think i get through it and the use of the word biodiversity in the second last question threw me off a little

dolbinau

HSC

axlenatore said:
Better than expected, there was a couple of things which threw me off, but i think i got through them, we didnt uses to cssa core though. When i first looked at the carbon dioxide question is was like wtf but i think i get through it and the use of the word biodiversity in the second last question threw me off a little
Yeah. I. Don't think I answered that one properly, I talked about Artificial insemination but that is more genetic diversity, although I did mention that the variations of Cattle would decrease as farmers steer towards the favourable ones (as seen with GM Crops, how the 'natural' variations get lost, kind of thing?)

Guh. I hope I get at least one mark for it.

chomp

HSC

yeh well for the whale one i did the natural selection etc...
for pp synthesis i drew my model and showed the colours of the cardboard to show my model
and for the 7 marker i spoke about vaccination and linked it to 3rd line of defence and chicken pox

Does that sound right??

HSC

Umm its first defence. Its cilia.

So freaky easy to me.. My target will be around 80's.

chomp

HSC

what was cilia... nothing was cilia..

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

Wasn't toooo bad.

Blanked on peptide question and its model thing, but other than that! :)

Although people say dont cram, it works very well!!

haha..

HSC

Are you on different paper i got? I didn't see CSSA on front page of our exam paper. Was yours?

candisnap

HSC
N/A

chomp said:
for pp synthesis i drew my model and showed the colours of the cardboard to show my model
and for the 7 marker i spoke about vaccination and linked it to 3rd line of defence and chicken pox

Does that sound right??
Yeh sounds about right, i talked about vaccination as well so lets hope so ha.
That whale one was weird, like what would actually happen to the whales with thicker blubber would they die or would they just feel uncomfortable haha.
But yeh, i just did the whole natural selection thing, thinner blubber whales more suited to the environment bla bla.

I thought it was pretty alright, i always make little mistakes in bio though. so fingers crossed :)

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC

man seriously this biology cssa trial was really easy. I mean yesterday afternoon i sat the physics one which was weird more than hard and i expected the same from this but i men it wasnt there this was just so totally easy. i mean ok i know alot of people going to say but anyway i managed to finsih the whole test except for the 7 mark core in 1hour 30 minutes the whole thing. and completly finished in 2 hours after rewriting my answer to communication lol. to easy so aiming for somewhere between 85-100

Azurie

HSC

Biology was easy, only thing that threw me off was a bit of the multiple choice. Other than that everything was kind of easy. aiming for 80-90s

dolbinau

HSC

Yeh sounds about right, i talked about vaccination as well so lets hope so ha.
That whale one was weird, like what would actually happen to the whales with thicker blubber would they die or would they just feel uncomfortable haha.
But yeh, i just did the whole natural selection thing, thinner blubber whales more suited to the environment bla bla.

I thought it was pretty alright, i always make little mistakes in bio though. so fingers crossed
Yeah it was to do with them dying I think. (Hence evolution/natural selection)

Cob-was-here

HSC

I stuffed the option up (human story). In class, i'm only up to the 2nd section because we only started the option not long ago. Anyway, there was not ONE question on the stuff i had learnt yet :mad:. I went sooo shit in multiple choice aswell, I already got my mark for that: 9/15.

I successfully managed to completely fuck up an easy exam.

dolbinau

HSC

Damn that sucks. I thought multiple choice was easy, hopefully it doesn't backfire on me. But you know that question on Divergent/Convergent evolution? What was the answer?

Lebstr

HSC

wt was answer for biodiversity?

catchnkiss.x

HSC

I loved it :)
There was alot more from Maintaining A Balance than I expected
and they didn't take anything too difficult from The Blueprint of Life.
Our option, Communication, (which we’ve only just started) was replaced with a few
questions from the first three modules, including the study of an infectious disease and Pasteur’s experiment.

I think it was a pretty fair test, the questions were general but you
needed to know your syllabus well to get everything down.
The timing was perfect. I had enough time to highlight key terms and completely answer all the questions without stressing.
I even had time to watch half the form fall asleep within the first hour of the exam.
They either hadn’t studied or stayed up too late studying. Either way, I think my rank is safe.

Apart from a few glitches here and there I'm expecting >85%.

catchnkiss.x

HSC

dolbinau said:
Damn that sucks. I thought multiple choice was easy, hopefully it doesn't backfire on me. But you know that question on Divergent/Convergent evolution? What was the answer?
They were the type of multiple choice that you couldn't get through
confidently without a range of knowledge from the syllabus.

As far as I can remember, that multiple choice was regarding the ostrich and the emu.
The answer is definitely convergent evolution.
They're similar looking birds, with similar functioning structures but are not closely related.
This question tries to trick you, because it talks about the continents being one,
and this usually refers to divergent evolution,
and the increasing dissimilarity between two or more populations that were initially one.

Cob-was-here

HSC

catchnkiss.x said:
I loved it :)
Apart from a few glitches here and there I'm expecting >85%.
>50% for me. I'm ashamed of myself. Although I did get dogged with Human Story. The questions were not repaced.

catchnkiss.x

HSC

chomp said:

Does that sound right??
Natural selection sounds right,
the thick blubbered whales would eventually be replaced by thin blubbered whales
to accommodate a change in temperature.

I'm not sure whether drawing the diagram would get you any marks
unless you labelled it?
CSSA provides marking guidelines, and that probably wouldn't have fallen within those.

And for the 7marker, vaccinations is correct. I talked about the third line of defence
(which is not present at birth), described the impact vaccines had on the immune system
and talked about both types of vaccinations, active and passive, with examples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)