• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A question on graphing waves (1 Viewer)

HSC
Theres a question that asks to draw two waves, both same amplitude and velocity but different frequency/wavelength, and then asks to draw the wave created by the interference of these two; my problem is do i use the the axes dipslcament V time or displacement V distance...
Dont they give the same wave?
if not, which one is better for showing the superposition of the two waves
Any help is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

Last edited:

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
Theres a question that asks to draw two waves, both same amplitude and velocity but different frequency/wavelength, and then asks to draw the wave created by the interference of these two; my problem is do i use the the axes dipslcament V time or displacement V distance...
Dont they give the same wave?
if not, which one is better for showing the superposition of the two waves
Any help is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Hey 5647382910,

With reference to your above question I would say both are the same. If you are plotting Displacement vs time you should realise that f=1/T whereas if you use the Displacement vs distance you should realise that the wavelength is the distance between two crest/two troughs or one complete cycle.

Either wave when you interfere the two waves use regular intervals on the x-axis and superimpose (i.e. constructively/destructively interfere) them.

If it were I, I would use the displacement vs Time graph as this is generally the standard used.

Best of Luck.

Dumbledore

HSC
if your good at maths you can find the equation of both waves and use trig identidies or auxillery angle method to easily draw it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)