• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice for Maths Extension 2 HSC (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
I've just started 4 unit Maths this week and I was wondering whether anyone had any advice or tips on how to make the most of our time. Currently, I'm working from Cambridge.

Would I benefit from doing every single question from the text book and should I maybe purchase another book as a supplement.

Is it helpful to start doing past paper questions from what we've learnt already and is there any book that is good for past papers, e.g. Success One, etc.

Would we benefit from tutoring. I was considering it, however the cost is just too much for me to afford.

And also, how much time should we be committing to 4 unit maths each day.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

adnan91

HSC
For me cambridge was the hardest book. Its questions start at a hard level not like patel which start off basic and stuff. YES u should absolutly do the all the cambridge ones. Then b4 ur exam u can do the further questions and such. For me i didnt buy another book but my teacher would give us hand outs from them. I wouldnt start doing past papers yet, but if u really want to do them for the topics u feel weak in. I have coronoes HSC past papers book from 1990-2006 if u would like to buy it for $27

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
keep your notes that you do in class.

organise them , it'll be a god-send come trials/hsc time.

vds700

HSC
Yeah do every question in cambridge, the exercises are not that long.

What I did for preparing for assessments is questions from phoenix exam-style questions book- this has past HSC questions sorted by topic, with full worked solutions, so makes your life easier, in that you dont have to spend ages looking through heaps of past papers for questions on the topics you need.

zelda011

HSC
for the love of god do not waste your time. if you understand something don't keep doing it over and over again, like i did with integration because it's a waste of time. you'll get 15/15 in the integration question and fuck everything else up. extension two is not really all that hard. it really isnt. the textbooks make it seem hard, and it can be very tedious, but it is not all that mentally demanding. mechanics is very overrated and if you do engineering studies or physics you will have bugger all problems with it.

also, don't ignore extension one. a lot of the ex. 2 stuff is built off of it so make sure you understand it very well, especially the trig and binomial stuff. spread your time out evenly and you should do fine.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
zelda011 said:
for the love of god do not waste your time. if you understand something don't keep doing it over and over again, like i did with integration because it's a waste of time. you'll get 15/15 in the integration question and fuck everything else up. .
lol, i always do that, i just do every question in textbooks, even if i know it lol

jchoi

HSC
I prefer Fitzpatrick's book, for no big reason, I think it explains better there.

Generally, you're looking at doing maths for at least 30 min~ 1 hour per day, because maths is about consistency. It is not one of those subjects where you can cram in, and also I recommend that you look at your previous exercises and try to do them every second or third weekend, because I found 4 unit maths pretty much building on from what you learn.

I haven't done revision for a week, now I can't even remember what De Moivre is.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)