• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

advice needed (1 Viewer)

jujujellybean

I'm a speck of sand, surrounded by... more specks
HSC
:wave: I was wondering what marks I would need to be achieving if I wanted a UAI above 85.
These are the subjects I do: Modern History, english standard, Mathematics 2U, chemistry, biology and SOR1U.
Also, would my rank in these subjects affect my UAI, even if I got good marks?
any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
jujujellybean said:
:wave: I was wondering what marks I would need to be achieving if I wanted a UAI above 85.
These are the subjects I do: Modern History, english standard, Mathematics 2U, chemistry, biology and SOR1U.
Also, would my rank in these subjects affect my UAI, even if I got good marks?
any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Your rank affects your UAI much more so than the marks you get in assessment tasks. Because schools set tasks of varying difficultly, the only fair way of judging things is through relative ranks. You can get high marks in assessment tasks, but if everyone does too and your rank is low, you'll get a lower UAI result than you think you should.

Anyways, for 85 you will want to aim for high band fives/low band sixes across your subjects, especially in Standard English. Basically, do your absolute best, work hard for assessment tasks, and study up for the final exams. You can get wherever you want to be. Best of luck. :)

I_F

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Pretty much, if you were ranked first in the school for all your assessments, then you would not be affected by anybody else in your school, unless they got a higher exam mark than you, in which case you would get their exam mark as your internal. Ranks are important.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Pretty much, if you were ranked first in the school for all your assessments, then you would not be affected by anybody else in your school, unless they got a higher exam mark than you, in which case you would get their exam mark as your internal. Ranks are important.
yeah, since there aren't any threads asking about the first rank advantage, I might as well post here to emphasize how great it is to come first in a few subjects.

Firstly, it allows you to aim for the very top... even the top of the state if you have those sorts of ambitions. It allowed me to crack 8th in the state for eng ext2 and 10th for histext.

Secondly, and in some senses more importantly, it is a great backup if you don't go so well in the HSC exam. For drama I got 93 for the exam, but someone else got 97, leaving me with a respectable 95. And for modern history, the same: I made a few errors in the exam and only got a 92 exam mark- luckily the girl I had been competing with all year for the 1st rank was in her usual form and got 96. Result: 94.

Thirdly, if you have a crap class, no ones marks can possibly drag you down.

These are the three main advantages of ranking 1st in your subject/s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)