• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

An impossible year 10 question??? (1 Viewer)

rhys100

Violinkid
HSC
Well my sister brought this home and gave it to me.. even my year 12 bio friends said it was to hard.. Can anyone else give it a shot?

Meiosis is called a reduction division because of what happens to chromeosome numbers. Explain, using spermatozoa or ova as examples

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
rhys100 said:
Well my sister brought this home and gave it to me.. even my year 12 bio friends said it was to hard.. Can anyone else give it a shot?

Meiosis is called a reduction division because of what happens to chromeosome numbers. Explain, using spermatozoa or ova as examples
perhaps you could relate to the affect on chromosomes during meisos? ill give it a try

meiosis undergoes replication and 2 mitotic or one mitotic division, basically its considered reduction division such that the end result being the gametes produced in this case the sperm or the ova consist of just the haploid number of chromosomes, so really they just have half the total chromosome number tahts why its called 'reduction' in that the full set is halved and is evident in the sperm and ova = sex cells

dont count on this but yeah, i gave it a shot!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Buiboi is right. Basically the sex cells have half the number of chromosomes (n) as compared with the parental cells (2n). This so called "reduction" is seen in meiosis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)