• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ANU Law VS USydney law... (1 Viewer)

Bananapyjama

HSC
Hey all, My name is Nick and I graduated last year with a UAI of 99.65. I'm currently on a GAP year, living with my family in Canberra and working full time and wish to study Commerce/Law at University next year. My heart has been set on the University of Sydney ever since the beginning of year 12. I was stoked naturally, when I realised I made it in, and deferred my offer for a year of work- in order to have some money as security once I'm down in Sydney (I hear its expensive there).

The reason I am making this thread however, is because I'm starting to have a tinge reluctance in moving to Sydney. Firstly, and mainly, the money factor. I think I will easily be able to support myself, however I'd rather not sacrifice my university results in doing so, I'd prefer to have no job whilst studying. Also I'm not sure if I'm ready to move away from home yet.

In light of the above, I've began considering staying here in Canberra and studying Commerce/Law at ANU. Is this course prestigious? How would it compared to USyd? I really want to work in a top class law firm in the future, will my chances be deterred by studying Law at ANU instead of the University of Sydney (which I hear is the best in Australia for law).

One thing thats keeping me away from Law at ANU is the cut-off needed (its only 95)
Most prestigious G8 Universities require 98+ (UNSW, USyd, UQ, Monash etc)

However, ANU is only a 95? Why is that? I sort of feel as if I'd be wasting my ENTER if I went there. And since the cutoff is low, are law firms reluctant to take on ANU law grads. Is the quality of the law course as good as other G8 Universities?

Also with a 99.45, am I eligible for any scholarships at ANU?

Thank-you for the help everyone. In summary, I would ideally love to stay at ANU but I'm reluctant to do so because I think the prestige is low, please tell me I'm wrong :) It would fix everything

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Hey all, My name is Nick and I graduated last year with a UAI of 99.65. I'm currently on a GAP year, living with my family in Canberra and working full time and wish to study Commerce/Law at University next year. My heart has been set on the University of Sydney ever since the beginning of year 12. I was stoked naturally, when I realised I made it in, and deferred my offer for a year of work- in order to have some money as security once I'm down in Sydney (I hear its expensive there).

The reason I am making this thread however, is because I'm starting to have a tinge reluctance in moving to Sydney. Firstly, and mainly, the money factor. I think I will easily be able to support myself, however I'd rather not sacrifice my university results in doing so, I'd prefer to have no job whilst studying. Also I'm not sure if I'm ready to move away from home yet.

In light of the above, I've began considering staying here in Canberra and studying Commerce/Law at ANU. Is this course prestigious? How would it compared to USyd? I really want to work in a top class law firm in the future, will my chances be deterred by studying Law at ANU instead of the University of Sydney (which I hear is the best in Australia for law).

One thing thats keeping me away from Law at ANU is the cut-off needed (its only 95)
Most prestigious G8 Universities require 98+ (UNSW, USyd, UQ, Monash etc)

However, ANU is only a 95? Why is that? I sort of feel as if I'd be wasting my ENTER if I went there. And since the cutoff is low, are law firms reluctant to take on ANU law grads. Is the quality of the law course as good as other G8 Universities?

Also with a 99.45, am I eligible for any scholarships at ANU?

Thank-you for the help everyone. In summary, I would ideally love to stay at ANU but I'm reluctant to do so because I think the prestige is low, please tell me I'm wrong :) It would fix everything
First of all, UAI in no way correlates with course quality, so there is no such thing as 'wasting your UAI.'

And I'm pretty sure that ANU is ranked higher than USyd for law - not that rankings really matter, but if that's what's important to you, go with ANU

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I think spense summed that up really well (top post spense)

ANU *IS* a great place. I enjoy it, my friends enjoy it. Well worth the change

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ANU is the highest ranked uni in australia and the s. hemisphere. so if it's rankings you're concerned about, ANU bitchslaps usyd and then some more.

employers don't really care what uni you come from as long as your results are good. but be warned, law and commerce at ANU has its marks bell-curved, which mean you'll be working like a dog to get nice marks (i.e. you'll need to be in the top 5-10% in your course to get a HD)

also i'd consider getting a job because degrees these days don't look that nice when you've been unemployed during your uni life.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
ANU is the highest ranked uni in australia and the s. hemisphere. so if it's rankings you're concerned about, ANU bitchslaps usyd and then some more.

employers don't really care what uni you come from as long as your results are good. but be warned, law and commerce at ANU has its marks bell-curved, which mean you'll be working like a dog to get nice marks (i.e. you'll need to be in the top 5-10% in your course to get a HD)

also i'd consider getting a job because degrees these days don't look that nice when you've been unemployed during your uni life.
...yes, of course.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Disagree,

They usually look out for someone with extra curricular activities, like societies and sports etc.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
...yes, of course.
sarcasm?

really now if you were an employer and you're interviewing two students, one who went to harvard who marginally passed and one who went to ANU who maintained an average of (say) 75%, who would you pick, ceteris paribus? the same can be said about attending a shittier university (usyd) and ANU. in fact, when you put your numerical grades into an online application, i'm pretty certain it's the weighted average/GPA (or whatever) that gets churned out that determines if you pass the first step, and not the uni (although i may be wrong).

attending a fine university doesn't automatically mean your degree will look stellar if your grades are mediocre. it's the combination of fine grades AND a fine uni that makes your resume/application chances good. but i'm sure you know this.

also about the job thing, i'm sticking to what i'm saying. more of an opinion really. again, having a job will put you at an advantage over other degree holders who didn't hold a job while at uni. this is why there's such a high demand for summer jobs - kids want to do it for a few months just to have the ability to put it on their CV. secondly if your job is related to your degree then obviously it means you would have acquired some level of experience in what you're trying to get into (say software engineering and you've held a 3-year job in programming C). lastly off the top of my head holding a job gives the sense you have the skill of managing your time well (doing uni and having a job).

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Employers in my field appreciate the ability to communicate effectively in english. I'm pretty good at that these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)