• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Any suggestions as to how I can get back on track? (1 Viewer)

esu_chan

HSC
Hey everyone,

Last year I spent the first 3 weeks of the last term on a musical. I didn't really do much study, and after that I was really vegetated and my mind was foggy. I lost a lot of time getting sidetracked, and unfortunately this has continued.

I did barely any school work or any form of study in general for the Christmas holidays. Now that I'm back at school, I've accumulated so much homework that I'm having trouble even just planning how to get it done.

I really want to do well; I keep telling myself 'I want to do this and get it done, and I can' but the problem is, when I get to doing it, I just think 'Huh?' and then I go off to do something else.

It could just be the weather, but I want to combat it.

I did to-do lists last year (which really helped) but I can't seem to stick to them this year. I'm thinking of maybe doing a study timetable, however I'm one of those people that needs to take lots of breaks and eat nibblies (e.g. gum or chips) while studying (I think it was a kinetic learner?), so I don't know if I'd be able to get my stuff done in time.

My subjects (I really should put them on my sig :D) are:

General Maths (dropped down from Mathematics last week), Advanced English, Ancient History, Senior Science, Visual Arts, and Continuers French (via Open High School)

Any help would be awesome XD

D94

HSC
N/A
Maybe get off BoS and do your homework now. Seriously, when/if this thread gets say 5-10 replies, you're going to spend an extra 30 minutes absorbing that info, whether good or bad. You're going to spend say 5 minutes every 30 minutes seeing if this thread has a reply. You're going to be browsing and browsing until the day has ended, and you'd still have no work done. A general waste of time, and you may feel you've done work, or doing something "educational" by browsing an "education" forum, but you really haven't done anything.

Do your work in 30 minute blocks - could increase motivation as you're not stuck focusing on one subject. If there is homework, and also assignments or assessments coming up, you can leave your homework until the day before it is due (generally homework shouldn't take more than 30 minutes-1 hour depending on the subject) or even just complete it the day you get it - get it over and done with. I guess it also comes down to your teacher. Some teachers care and say so and so if you don't do homework, and generally they do implement such actions, others just don't care. With assessments coming up, spend a bit more time revising, collaborating notes and understanding concepts.

Try your to-do lists or whatever you did last year. Don't know how much it helped you, but it appears it did. Sort of like the will power smoking ad, every time you ignore distractions, the better you'll get at focusing on the task at hand (probably a bad analogy). But case in point, too much contemplating, not enough action.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
If you feel theres too much work you should drop down to 10 units and just focus on those instead.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get easily overwhelmed, perhaps going to 10 units is viable for you. Not jumping the gun for you, but because you're dropping down in maths, I presume it might be one of your weaker subs? And you'd have to put in work to get to date with all the general work.

Also, a little makes the load less. So don't try to work out how to do it all just yet, just go sit down and get something done. It'll make what you need to delegate less daunting for future nights. What might help for you is to be like "Ya know what? Tonight I'm going get up to date in French." Then do that for all your subs whilst concurrently doing the new work.

Coookies

HSC
I agree with the others, you should drop maths. Maths takes constant revision and practice, which you probably didn't do since you dropped to general(just guessing). Also, you're probably behind nearly half the general HSC topics now. I personally think dropping a subject gives you a hell of a lot of motivation to get up to speed on your other subjects.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
If you see general serves no real purpose, it's just a pain and you have this face when you go into the class :alone: just drop it :p Makes things easier brah.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)