• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Art Theory-Section II Help :( (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hey :)

Ok, our teacher is lovely, but we are given absolutely no direction in terms of theory, because she herself hates it.
So we're left up to our own devices, and consequently, I'm freaking out.

Basically my question is, is there anything specific we shouls know for section II of the art exam? In my prelims I got away with studying vague artists and movements like pop art (learnt about context and artists and works etc etc), feminist artists and impressionist artists, and I always chose the conceptual framework question and related it back to context...

I managed to do really well in my exam but I just don't feel prepared, I guess I'm a bit OCD about school haha, but in art I can't be because everything we do is so ... unstructured...

Can someone please tell me how to organise my information for this section, or just some advice, what should I be studying?!

Will rep :)

kaytt

HSC
hey, i think you're pretty much so on the right track :)

my teacher was a huge theory freak... we did one week prac and one week of gruelling theory all year. so basically you study a few artists.. have about 5 or so up your sleeve (try and pick ones with similar dates for their artworks, makes things so much easier) and know about all the movements... renaissance (including humanism, scientific rationalism, etc.), cubism, pop art, impressionism, post-impressionism, etc. anddd the influence of the industrial revolution may also help :).

you'll be fine :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
hey, i think you're pretty much so on the right track :)

my teacher was a huge theory freak... we did one week prac and one week of gruelling theory all year. so basically you study a few artists.. have about 5 or so up your sleeve (try and pick ones with similar dates for their artworks, makes things so much easier) and know about all the movements... renaissance (including humanism, scientific rationalism, etc.), cubism, pop art, impressionism, post-impressionism, etc. anddd the influence of the industrial revolution may also help :).

you'll be fine :)
Cool, thanks so much,makes me feel a bit more confident.

I know it's considered easy and open ended, (and it is...) but I just didn't know if I was on the right track for HSC.

I wish my teacher was more of a theory freak.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Cool, thanks so much,makes me feel a bit more confident.

I know it's considered easy and open ended, (and it is...) but I just didn't know if I was on the right track for HSC.

I wish my teacher was more of a theory freak.
You're probably only going to need 3 artists for the HSC.

There is almost ALWAYS a question on postmodernism/contemporary art/technology in art ...so I would recommend studying three postmodern artists in conjunction. You'll find that most use technology anyway, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

Also, you should be doing case studies in school (despite your teacher being a theory freak or not, it's in the syllabus), so utilise these. Also, Warhol and Duchamp are great to have up your sleeve, as is Frida Kahlo.

Stress less, you have AGES to prepare. Art theory is simplistic, conventional and straightforward. You'll be fine. Go have a look at some past papers, and find the trends of questions.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You're probably only going to need 3 artists for the HSC.

There is almost ALWAYS a question on postmodernism/contemporary art/technology in art ...so I would recommend studying three postmodern artists in conjunction. You'll find that most use technology anyway, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

Also, you should be doing case studies in school (despite your teacher being a theory freak or not, it's in the syllabus), so utilise these. Also, Warhol and Duchamp are great to have up your sleeve, as is Frida Kahlo.

Stress less, you have AGES to prepare. Art theory is simplistic, conventional and straightforward. You'll be fine. Go have a look at some past papers, and find the trends of questions.
Thankyou. :)
Yes, we do 'case studies', I suppose you could call them that... Well, she just gives us a question that we have to research all ourselves, which would be fine, but she doesn't give us any feedback, simply a number-mark, no comments, so I'm basically fumbling in the dark. But thankyou, I'll try to do some post modern artists in the next task so I have some info.

Ps, your poetry for EEII was so amazing. I read the bos showcase a while ago, and yours was the only one that really resonated in my mind... Loved it, I hope you go well.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Thankyou. :)
Yes, we do 'case studies', I suppose you could call them that... Well, she just gives us a question that we have to research all ourselves, which would be fine, but she doesn't give us any feedback, simply a number-mark, no comments, so I'm basically fumbling in the dark. But thankyou, I'll try to do some post modern artists in the next task so I have some info.

Ps, your poetry for EEII was so amazing. I read the bos showcase a while ago, and yours was the only one that really resonated in my mind... Loved it, I hope you go well.
Thankyou! That's so kind. I'm glad you got something from it.

Regarding your teacher, don't worry, my teacher is really terrible at theory too. Just make sure you take the initiative when doing those case studies to really read up on the artists so you have them stocked away if you need it for the exam!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)