• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

assumed knowledge - HELP! (1 Viewer)

muttiah

Banned
HSC
what are some assumed knowledge in year 12 chemistry from year 11....

anything in particular which we should revise over the holidays??

fopr example like mole concept..

thanks for da help!

tennille

HSC
The mole concept, as you mentioned, balancing standard equations/reactions and ionic equations (if you did that in year 11). That's all I can think of at the moment. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It's handy to be familiar with the common elements of the periodic table (first 20 or so). Knowing some of the common polyatomic ions like phosphate and carbonate will also be assumed knowledge.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Riviet said:
It's handy to be familiar with the common elements of the periodic table (first 20 or so). Knowing some of the common polyatomic ions like phosphate and carbonate will also be assumed knowledge.
Familiar, to what extent?

Nodice

HSC
Solubility rules don't need to be remembered to succeed in chemistry, but they are certainly helpful. It'll help you to understand 'why' some substances are used and others are not, for instance in the salt bridge in electrolytic cells (KNO3 since they are soluble).

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Nodice said:
Solubility rules don't need to be remembered to succeed in chemistry, but they are certainly helpful. It'll help you to understand 'why' some substances are used and others are not, for instance in the salt bridge in electrolytic cells (KNO3 since they are soluble).
Share us your knowledge on solubility rules, it does not help me to just rely on a strip of paper to learn the solubility rules ...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
airie said:
Familiar, to what extent?
Know their common name + formula including their valence number, e.g Phosphate PO43-

Pubert

HSC
Also, i was just starting production of materials and i realised it would be very useful to revise some organic chemistry from the yr11 energy module before beginning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)