• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Asymptotes (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Hello. I'm not very good at curve sketching and I was hoping someone could explain to me why some curves cut their horizontal asymptotes?

HSC
Uni Grad
first you must understand what a horizontal asymptote is (from the 2unit course)

when you do, you'll realise why

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
could you please tell me what it is...thats why i asked
With horizontal asymptotes they are concerned with what happens to the graph as x approaches infinity. therefore you can cross a horizontal asymptote for smaller values of x but as x gets large the curve approaches the asymptote.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
A horizontal asymptote, if it exists, is the value that the function approaches as x->+/- infinity. For small values of x it may not appear to approach this value.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
tbh i wouldnt really be worrying bout this if i were u. u might just get cnfused b4 the trials.
wat i recommend you do to fix ur curve sketching b4 the trial is get terry lee advanced maths and do his curve sketching questions. they r very similar to the ones u get in past exam papers. and he has good explanations and worked solutions.

michaeljennings

HSC
ahhh thanks guys. I figured it was what happens as x approaches negative and positive infinity judging by y=1/x but i jsut wanted to make sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)