• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Comm at Usyd vs BBus at UTS (1 Viewer)

ph04

With one day to go, I'm STILL undecided about which to place first. I'm fairly sure I'll miss the UNSW cut-off by a fraction of a mark so I really need help choosing between these two. So far, I've seen countless Usyd v UNSW Commerce debates, but if anyone can help with this one, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I would choose Comm at USYD. Better rep apparently and better campus life.

HSC
But isn't there the risk of going a uni which seems more old school and less innvoative than UTS? In a Commerce degree, its a degree which asks for more practical experience, rather than learning fromt he text books. With UTS, they have lecturers who are actrually working in industry (hence the weird hours for class) also, with many cadetship students - but Usyd seems more hung up on its traditional reputation, than worrying about the changing dynamics of Commerce. Even the fact that USyd doesn't offer night classes shows this.

But this is just my opinion....I might be wrong. I personally think old traditional reputation is not as important as industry links to businesses today, which UTS provides, since business is such a current type of degree....maybe with subjects like the Arts and Law, Sydney is better for prestige. But with Commerce/Business? I think its debatable.

Lainee

HSC
Most of what I'm going to say is hearsay, but I'll just say it anyway in case it helps.

A friend of mine is in the same position as you, ph04. She'll probably miss out on UNSW if the cutoff rises by a fraction. Her preferences as far as I'm aware are:

1. Commerce/Arts @ UNSW (the cutoff is the same for a single BCom)
2. Business @ UTS
3. Economics/Arts @ UNSW
4. Commerce @ USyd

As you can probably see, she's considering UTS over USyd. I'm considering Com/Law myself and I haven't heard anything negative about USyd's Commerce degree at all. The new economics and business building looks great too, so bonus points for that.

If social activities is a big criteria on your list then I would suggest USyd - purely because I've heard alot of good things about this. ComSoc runs some balls and actitivies... it all sounds really fun. :)

Contrary to popular belief I don't think USyd's Commerce department is in any way less 'industry tailored'. If you're hoping to be recruited to investment banks and the like, USyd seems to have substantial industry contact. This is a huge factor since the majority of vacant positions are not advertised and industry contact is one of the most valuable assets especially when you're fresh out of uni.

If you're having trouble choosing between the two, I would suggest nitpicking a little and going on less important differences. (ie. USyd has nice grass and a shiny new commerce building!) But keep in mind that it's best to choose what feels right for you rather than on someone else's convincing argument. That's basically all we highschoolers can go on - what FEELS right.

sHin

Hmm.. I can only reiterate what Lainee said; whatever feels right

I think both UTS and USYD are good enough in the business/commerce department to have neglible differences when it comes to content learnt and job prospects. If you're good at what you do, you'll get a good job.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
ph04 said:
With one day to go, I'm STILL undecided about which to place first. I'm fairly sure I'll miss the UNSW cut-off by a fraction of a mark so I really need help choosing between these two. So far, I've seen countless Usyd v UNSW Commerce debates, but if anyone can help with this one, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm in the same boat. I have no idea which one to choose, and I'll probably just miss out on commerce at UNSW. All along I'd been thinking of business @ UTS, but this afternoon I've had a sudden change of heart. At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable and happy with your choice. Try to talk to people who do business and commerce and find out what they like and dislike about their respective courses and uni's...well, that's what I'm trying to do :p

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Just have good communication skills, high grades and you will notice that both degrees will get you very good jobs

ph04

To everyone who replied, thankyou so much. I guess the prospects of the two degrees are quite similar so that 'do what feels right' advice is pretty spot on.

Unless I make any crazy last minute changes, the list goes:

1. Bachelor of Commerce at University of New South Wales (won't make it)

2. Bachelor of Business at University of Technology, Sydney

3. Bachelor of Commerce at University of Sydney

4. Bachelor of Economics at University of New South Wales

5. Bachelor of Economics at University of Sydney

6. Bachelor of Commerce - Marketing at Macquarie University

7. Bachelor of Commerce at Macquarie University

Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)