• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Fashion & Textiles comb. International Studies (1 Viewer)

RUSTYROX12321

HSC
I'm in Year 11 atm, & I'm contemplating studying this course in UTS...

My biggest quarm is that it's got an extremely high cut-off (99.90) & I'm not really sure of the course's credibility in the industry. What I'd like to know is:

a) Is design @ UTS regarded well in the industry?
b) Is the International Studies aspect of the course necessary/worthwhile?
c) Would I be better off studying fashion in TAFE...

I'm really lost & don't know which way to go...If not fashion, I'm considering Architecture/interior design at UNSW or Syd.

Last edited:

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Yeah, so I've heard but the UAI cut-off seems to be 98.5 last time I checked up online. But I could be wrong, so yep.

ctee

HSC
You don't necessarily need a degree in the fashion industry, what you really must have is talent. TAFE, I think is better for fashion because it is more highly regarded and is world known. Many more of our more successful international designers have come from TAFE. But it is highly competitive to get into so good luck :)

It's pretty stupid that there's no interview/portfolio requirement for UTS. Although, at UTS you get the opportunity to be selected to go to the Lancome Awards in paris.

asquith

HSC
Hi,

That was a very well formed question and one in which i consider about a lot too. I a currently studying 2nd year of that precise combined degree and thought deeply about whether it is the right choice. My course keeps the options very open because it teaches you pretty much everything from the practical which helps for fashion designing, to illustration to theory and design theory. If you want to do fashion designing, you can pretty much get most of the skills in a tafe course and its highly regarded because it has produced most of the fashion designers in Australia simply because it was like the only course around. My course is relatively new so hasnt had a chance to build up that same reputation. Although i think Bec and Bridge studied at UTS. And watch out for Lee Matthews. However, beware some of my fellow classmates consider it a crap degree because it doesnt focus on the real meat. It spends too much time on design theory rather than construction and patternmaking. Consider it 1/4 of the time. But logically one would think Fashion was at least 60% about the garments and 40% business. As i said, it all depends on where you want to go. Feel free to email me about which course is good your your direction. I can say, if you want to do fashion designing, tafe is good because its shorter and more practical. However, if you want to work in journalism, a degree at UTS is better. Additionally, people who study B Commerce can still go into fashion business. There are so many ways to go about something, such as if you dont get into your course, if you have a precise career in mind, if you dont really know where to go etc.
My email is chrissy_168@hotmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)