• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Psychology (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I've always wanted to do the B Psych, but never thought I'd get the marks. But now that I've got the marks, I'm contemplating it.

Can anyone who is doing it give me their opinions on the degree? I'm not a Science freak, so I don't know if this degree is full of science. Is it a hectic schedule...how many hours per week?

Just some background on the degree would be great, thanks! :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The degree requires 192 credit points with atleast 12 CP of maths or stats, 12 CP of junior science units other than Psychology and atleast a total of 96 CP from science subject areas.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Basic rundown:

You must complete 144 credit points in first three years consisting of:
- at least 12 junior credit points of psychology subjects
- at least 54 intermediate and senior credit points of psychology subjects
- at least 96 credit points of science subjects (these include the above psychology subjects)
- at least 12 credit points from maths and/or stats
- at least 12 junior credit points from other science subjects eg. biology, chemistry, physics etc.

Fourth year:
- 48 credit points of psychology honours subjects in fourth year

So basically the majority of science you will be doing is in the psychology field but you are expected to do atleast 12 credit points, which is normally equal to 2 subjects, of other science subjects and 12 credit points of maths or stats. You are also allowed 48 credit points from other faculties outside of science

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Doesn't BSc (Psych) have a prerequisite knowledge of 2u maths or above?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You most likely will have to do 2 unit maths bridging course so that you can do the 4 life science maths subjects that you need to satisfy the 12 units of maths

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
You most likely will have to do 2 unit maths bridging course so that you can do the 4 life science maths subjects that you need to satisfy the 12 units of maths
Is there a 2u maths bridging course? I was under the impression that it would be far too difficult to teach the concept of calculus in a thorough manner in the space of a week.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
bridging courses run over 2 to 4 weeks i think.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
One more important thing to consider grk_styl is that in first year you require credit average and in second and third years you need a distinction average to continue with the degree.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
One more important thing to consider grk_styl is that in first year you require credit average and in second and third years you need a distinction average to continue with the degree.
She's a smart cookie, so I don't think there'll be many problems there:)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
withoutaface said:
Doesn't BSc (Psych) have a prerequisite knowledge of 2u maths or above?
The B Psych says something about having an assumed knowledge of 2u maths, but I don't HAVE to do a bridging course. And anyway, it could just be done in Summer School, no biggie.

acmilan said:
That's the biggest thing I'm worried about! C ave. and a D ave. is pretty tough. But I guess it's probably similar to the medicine degrees, etc.

Thanks for your help guys :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The C and D averages needed are only in psychology subjects though

pristine

HSC
B psych.

i hear there are a number of ways to do a B. of psych.
through sci and arts. what's the difference?

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
There really isn't much difference...the content is basically the same...Bpsych is just a fancy name, and has a smaller number of ppl in it. But 2 be a registered psychologist in the arts and sciences degrees, you have 2 complete 4th year honours in psychology or an acredited diploma. I was going to do B psychology (which incidently required you to have a distinction average in 2nd year) but i decided to do a combined science (psychology)/commerce degree to keep my options open, and will probably do the 4th year honours

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)