• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

best text for maths 1081 (discrete) (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
The Epp text is the main text book, used for the entire course. Not entirely necessary. I did 1081 and referred to the book once. The proofs book is only used for one topic in the subject. I did the course without that one.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by compower1
wats the epp text?
Title: DISCRETE MATHEMATICS WITH APPLICATIONS 2ED
Author: EPP S

so wat book did u use?
Pretty much didn't use any.

and did u do 4unit maths? (cos i hear that helps a lot)
No. I did 3 unit, and I don't think having done 4u helps in 1081. It would help in 1131/1141.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I would only recommend using the course pack. I did the course without buying the text book and got a DN.

mp3mojo

You can borrow the Epp book from the library.
another good discrete maths book (which you can also borrow from the library) is Rosen, which is easier to understand than Epp.
btw all these books can be found on level 6 of the main library.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
no textbook is going to help me, i'm beyond help :(

mp3mojo

dont be so pestimestic cyrax83, dats how i thought about the subject too, but as you spend more time on it, it gets alot betta. :) :)

study for the class tests (MUST attempt past class tests!!), quite easy to get marks there (except for the proofs & probability topics) & also good for consistent revision (to prepare u for the final exam).

compower1

how are u supposed u know if ur asnwer is correct as in is there any way of checking?...like working backwards or something which u can do with most 'normal' problems

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
yeah, study for the class tests and try to use them to find out what you suck at. or what you're good at.

with proofs.. i think you know when you've stuffed up because you fudge a bit (invent the de Morgan v.2 rule or something!). if you're in doubt, do it again! and it's good practise :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)