• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Best university for Bachelor of Commerce/Business? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
Was thinking UTS but now also considering ANU, USDY, UNSW and even possibly Macquarie. What University would be the best for an undergrad business degree, irrespective of ATAR?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
UNSW would be best I'd say - ASB has a fantastic reputation, but I'll let someone who actually goes to the ASB explain why (that is if they care enough to say anything other than "don't doubt the new south").

Business firms have a pretty liberal method of employing graduates, and in the work I've done alongside the HR people at the firms, they all refer to those 4 unis as the "Big 4 unis".

A couple of reposts on this topic though:

Pretty ideally UNSW (ASB has a solid reputation and connections if you want to go into like IB or something above commercial firms), though for jobs in Big 4 commercial/auditing/accounting firms they tend not to care much about the uni you went to.

Without bias to UTS though (I'm a UTS Business student), strictly on an objective level the UTS Business school was recently the first Business school in Australia to receive a 5 star rating on the international QS rating system (source: UTS's star rises in latest QS university ratings) so you probably can't go wrong with UTS Business. Plus our Bsoc is one of the more active uni business society's (probably second to only UNSW Bsoc) and has very strong industry connections and relationships with HR departments of the Big 4 accounting firms, some of the commercial Big 4 banks and we're rolling in some new sponsors this year too which are some pretty big names.
The business/commerce firms tend not to discriminate much between MQ/UTS/UNSW/USYD and consider applicants on a holistic level. As long as you maintain a 65 average and demonstrate some initiative by building some extra-curriculars and relevant work experience, you'll be eligible to apply for all the summer programs, internships, etc that the firms make available to you. From there it really just comes down to your character and performance in that interview (if you submit a fantastic application, that is). It'll also help if you attend the networking events I'm assuming the uni's Business Society holds because it'll give you great insight and knowledge about the firms that'll give you an extra edge whilst writing your written application. Having said that, my MQ friends have constantly told me of their disappointment that the MQ Business Society is not that active (which I of course can't confirm for you) and often attend the UTS/UNSW networking events instead. As part of the UTS Business Society, I can assure you that we put on numerous networking events and competitions with the Big 4 Accounting firms and certain Big 4 Commercial Banks (and other firms too like CA and CPA) throughout the year (around 6 or 7 this year), and this coming year we're extending our sponsorship to other businesses (Woolworths is the first announced so far), and we're introducing new initiatives too (for example, practise psychometric testing), and all of these things we've seen have helped more and more UTS students each year get graduate opportunities.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Lone usyd rep!! (Can't control my bias because its been so good to me)

Also, I've never heard of 'big 4 unis' - is it just a HR thing? But its definitely true that big 4 accounting firms don't discriminate between usyd/unsw/mq/uts.

enoilgam

HSC
Also, I've never heard of 'big 4 unis' - is it just a HR thing?
It's probably an internal marketing thing. Firms who really push their graduate programs target them towards the big 4 because obviously those unis have most of the talent. They're more reluctant to invest in marketing at other unis because they lack the talent and because they just dont get the interest levels that they do at bigger unis. So the main advantage of "big 4" unis is exposure to opportunities moreso than "prestige".

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Lone usyd rep!! (Can't control my bias because its been so good to me)

Also, I've never heard of 'big 4 unis' - is it just a HR thing? But its definitely true that big 4 accounting firms don't discriminate between usyd/unsw/mq/uts.
It's not a public thing since publically the uni's have their "Go8" name, but since firms operate in specific cities and are hoping to hire out of those specific cities, they look towards the leading institutions there much like uni students do to the firms. It's an internal HR thing, as enoilgam has said. (That's the language they use around me anyway :haha:)

swagmeister

HSC
The thing is UNSW is really far away from where I live like I went there to collect an Economics prize and its like 90 minutes compared to the city unis which are only about 50 minutes away... Like is it that much better that it would make it worth the extra 80 minutes of travel a day? Also how would UTS, USYD and ANU compare? ANU is ranked like 16th in the world for Economics by the QS ratings but the cutoff is really low and I haven't heard anyone rave about it...

Confound

HSC
Challenge yourself and go to uws college of business, then aim for big4 and above. Come back here and tell us about your experiences. It'll be an awesome story

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is meant to have the best ''real world qualifications/skills'' needed for the work place.
UTS is probably best for cadetship imo

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Challenge yourself and go to uws college of business, then aim for big4 and above. Come back here and tell us about your experiences. It'll be an awesome story
A true 'started from the bottom, now we here'. Would purchase book.

ADSpencer

HSC
N/A
If you aspire to Financial, PE, investment banking type positions, many senior manager tend to be from Usyd,
Then Melb, and everywhere UWA some UNSW and Macquarie. uSyd cant go wrong if you get high marks.
UTS perception is stronger seen in technical fields.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)