• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Biology, Life on Earth unit (1 Viewer)

Etlu-Yume

HSC
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of "Banded Iron Formations" and how they relation to the first free oxygen released into the atmosphere? The information I have on them isn't making much sense, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!
E/Y.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of "Banded Iron Formations" and how they relation to the first free oxygen released into the atmosphere? The information I have on them isn't making much sense, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!
E/Y.
Well, i do bio, too!
but never heard of that thingy

maybe my school is a lil bit late
i'll let u know if i know what it is
:wave:

allira92

HSC
no, i havent heard of it yet... try looking in the resources section for somebody's syllabus notes and see of its covered in that.

Etlu-Yume

HSC
Thanks guys, I figured out what it was talking about. It's evidence for when photosynthetic microbes (which produced an oxygen waste product) and first free oxygen was released into the atmosphere. The "Banded Iron Formations" are formed by the oxidisation of the Ferrous (Iron) ions in seawater. Therefore, if there was no oxygen, there were no BIFs. ^_^

thanks to you all though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)