• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Black Swan as a related text? (1 Viewer)

realmadridismo

HSC
What do you guys think about using black swan as a related text - I'm sure I could find heaps of techniques in there, namely the juxtaposition of the two sides to Nina's personality which embody the black and the white swan. My prescribed text is Romulus, though, and I'm a bit stuck on how I could relate the notions in black swan to Romulus. Any ideas?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I personally don't know these two texts very well, but from a quick glance of their synopsis, a potential linkage might be that Romulus has mental illness at one stage... and this is similar to Nina where she felt pressured to play the ballet role-and starting to slowly lose grip with reality-possibly because she wants to adopt herself into the role as much as possible- so you could potentially make a link with belonging how individuals relate to different worlds-i.e. their internal, perceived worlds and the external society-and the conflicting perceptions, struggle to maintain a balance, may also relate to conflict between expression of individuality and societal expectation of sanity, and both movies seems to talk about relationships of some kind, i.e. in Romulus it is mainly family, in black swan-perhaps talk about relationship between the main dancers?... perhaps you could alsoo link the text by talking about the notion that one's identity is developed/refined through experiences-whether it is physical journeys, or psychological ones- just some ideas to think about-may not be all applicable, I am sure you can find a lot more-hope this helps:)

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
I would suggest using a different related text that has more thematic correlation with 'Romulus, My Father' - you will be more prepared going into the exams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)