• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Blade Runner is weird! Agreed?? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I just watched Blade Runner for the first time, and I have to say that it's the weirdest film I have ever watched...is there a general consensus on this? So why did the BOS choose this for the syllabus?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
A few of my friends have said it was weird abit too. Have you read the syllabus/outcomes? I think its one of those texts where it shows how values can change in different aspects of society. This explores the world of science/discovery/medicine while other texts like emma/clueless, looks at the manners and lifestyle of those in high social hierachies. Syllabus below:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hhhmm...strange.
I haven't read the syllabus outcomes for Module A yet, coz my class is doing Module B first. But BR is certainly a weird movie...BNW is much better to read.

mack

Banned
HSC
Thats the point of Blade Runner, lol. Ridley Scott wanted to show the shortcomings of humanity when the society is obsessed with technological advance, he wanted to freak you out.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
yeh i agree its definitely a weird film n so is Brave New World esp wen u read abt 'erotica' and later how de Savage Reservation is viewed by Lenina n stuff...etc u'll b totally grossed out and freaked out!

but dis is de whole point of dis module its soooooooooooo WILD that u the reader/responder cannot associate with it at all, hence its 'in the wild'.
So wen u read/view dese texts, understand ur own view towards them n den compare it with the views presented in these texts n if ur 'weirded out' (which u certainly will b!) den de BOS' point is fulfilled.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hhmm...
Well that's ok...since I was weirded out by the movie, then that means I'll have more to talk about in the HSC exam :)

So for this module we have to discuss the techniques and methods used by Scott to make the film weird and "out there"? And then we compare that with BNW??

santaslayer

HSC
BR is pretty weird yes,....i had to watch it a couiple of times to get the picture....

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
yeh *rench in this module u have to compare BNW (brave new world) and BR (blade runner) and how they both represent 'in the wild'. The only difference between these 2 texts is that one is a narrative while other is visual text cuz its a film. So the techniques in BNW will b narrative or satirical while in BR it would b visual techniques such as film noir and u gota talk abt shots and camera techniques.

But remember tht dis module is called 'Comparative Study of Texts" so u gota find de differences as well as similarities....n dis lies in how 'in the wild' is portrayed.

In the wild' is basically the loss of humanity that results frm scientific development so dats why in BNW dere are mass produced humans while in BR Tyrell has basically emulated God. Hence both composers are critical of scientific progress - this is the fundamental similarity in the 2 texts.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
mz_purfect said:
yeh *rench in this module u have to compare BNW (brave new world) and BR (blade runner) and how they both represent 'in the wild'. The only difference between these 2 texts is that one is a narrative while other is visual text cuz its a film. So the techniques in BNW will b narrative or satirical while in BR it would b visual techniques such as film noir and u gota talk abt shots and camera techniques.

But remember tht dis module is called 'Comparative Study of Texts" so u gota find de differences as well as similarities....n dis lies in how 'in the wild' is portrayed.

In the wild' is basically the loss of humanity that results frm scientific development so dats why in BNW dere are mass produced humans while in BR Tyrell has basically emulated God. Hence both composers are critical of scientific progress - this is the fundamental similarity in the 2 texts.
Ah ok..
Nicely put :) - it makes a lot more sense to me now.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
can someone just tell me the plot of this movie bladerunner, so that i don't have to watch it myself, or can someone just reply so that when we do watch it, i can catch up on some sleep.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
can someone just tell me the plot of this movie bladerunner, so that i don't have to watch it myself, or can someone just reply so that when we do watch it, i can catch up on some sleep.
Lol. Nice.
Although it's probably better if you watch it yourself. People can tell you lies otherwise :)

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
Blade Runner is so weird!@ i watched it and was like "what is going on" and the teacher was like "what" and then i was like "omg thats indiana" and she is like "no its harrison" and i swore at her and then something else happened.

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
bladerunner is weird but brave new world is worst.....thank god the hsc question on it was easy as hell this year...bladerunner has its good bits (which i cant remember) but brave new world was weird, boring and utterly crap

cimbom

HSC
We just finished watching it for the second time (i didn't get it at all first time) stuff about replicants... apparently it was really unpopular back in 1982 as well...
I guess they chose it because of the shared themes with brave new world, hopefully that's better. Plus, we probably have to analyse the 'futuristic' music of the film, yuk...

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
and crap and boring and confusing and i neva finished reading BNW and yet theyre still better than emma/ clueless :D

cimbom

HSC
yeah, definitely better than emma and clueless...

somechick

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I just watched Blade Runner for the first time, and I have to say that it's the weirdest film I have ever watched...is there a general consensus on this? So why did the BOS choose this for the syllabus?
You obvoulsy havent seen "Orlando" in the extension English syllabus. Let me tell you, that is some WEIRD SHITE.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
somechick said:
You obvoulsy havent seen "Orlando" in the extension English syllabus. Let me tell you, that is some WEIRD SHITE.
Nope, I haven't seen it :)
Should I be glad that I haven't seen it? Are you doing it for Ext 1?...what elective is it for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)