• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can Nineteen Eighty-Four be used for TTT? (1 Viewer)

miss_niss

Occasional Member
HSC
I've asked my teacher if I can use 1984 for telling the truth, she's asking the coordinator. I've read conflicting things on these boards, is it excluded or not? And if I do use it, what if the marker disagrees and doesn't think I can use it? I'm not sure if I want to use something that's in a grey area.........

It's a shame becuase it's got some really good quotes about truth...

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
i am curious as well, as otherwise i'm looking for another text, which is a pain. 1984 is good stuff...
the impression i got from my english teacher is that we aren't specifically disallowed from using it, but it's frowned on because it's perceived as an "easier" choice - being a set text for another module, you don't have to look far for it... i don't know how that shows itself in marks though, perhaps the marker has higher expectations?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
mervvyn is right. you ARE allowed to use a prescribed text from a module different to the one you are studying. they changed the rule that said you werent about...oh, 2, 3-ish years ago. dont worry miss_niss, all the markers are made aware of the rules regarding found tetxs etc. by their senior marker before they begin marking. no-one will mark you down for using 1984. there is no category for a marker to deduct marks for the choice of text being an "easier" one. the logic is that you still have to look for the information yourself, you arent being taught it, and lots of texts have been taught before.
oh, and miss_niss, if the only reason you want to use 1984 is because its got good quotes on truth in it, then why dont you just use the quotes? you are allowed to use quotes from as many sources as you like in your piece - they dont have to be restricted to your found text.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
silvermoon said:
mervvyn is right. you ARE allowed to use a prescribed text from a module different to the one you are studying. they changed the rule that said you werent about...oh, 2, 3-ish years ago. dont worry miss_niss, all the markers are made aware of the rules regarding found tetxs etc. by their senior marker before they begin marking. no-one will mark you down for using 1984. there is no category for a marker to deduct marks for the choice of text being an "easier" one. the logic is that you still have to look for the information yourself, you arent being taught it, and lots of texts have been taught before.
oh, and miss_niss, if the only reason you want to use 1984 is because its got good quotes on truth in it, then why dont you just use the quotes? you are allowed to use quotes from as many sources as you like in your piece - they dont have to be restricted to your found text.
Cool... ive been wanting to use 1984. I was just worried theyd mark me down for "double dipping" as my advanced teacher calls it.
Yes.. the quotes are good... thanks :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i got told u dont give a good impression to the marker using a prescribed text ...

and that u shud never use one..

miss_niss

Occasional Member
HSC
ta muchly everybody

.......I think i will use it, that is of course if the question lends itself to it, like I used it in my trial but i was stretching it a bit. and good suggestion about just using the quotes, thanks!

Reasuuring to know markers get the full rundown silvermoon. i never know how the whole system works glad someone does.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
miss_niss said:
.......I think i will use it, that is of course if the question lends itself to it, like I used it in my trial but i was stretching it a bit. and good suggestion about just using the quotes, thanks!

Reasuuring to know markers get the full rundown silvermoon. i never know how the whole system works glad someone does.
meh, hope that helped. oh, the only reason i know is coz my father is a head eng marker for hsc...sadly is not coz i am supreme, magical being who knows all...:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)