• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

changing units after enrolling? (1 Viewer)

minalata

HSC
i enrolled today, and being the indecisive person that i am, i have already decided to drop a subject and shift my timetable around. Does this mean that i have to go back and start the whole process of getting an academic to sign and approve of my timetable and putting my subjects into the comp?

or can i do this myself on the estudent thingy????

thanks.

minalata

HSC
Thanks, it can be done right? changing units before the start of the semester i mean...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
hey i have a question.

paying hecs upfront gives a 20% discount if the amount paid is 500$ or higher.

if i paid my whole semester upfront i still get a 20% discount?

Does that mean if i make a few upfront payments of 500$ over time it is no different than doing it all in one go?

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
theres inflationary adjustments? so essentially it is the same, but you might find a few dollars missing from the bank?

CieL

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
hey i have a question.

paying hecs upfront gives a 20% discount if the amount paid is 500$ or higher.

if i paid my whole semester upfront i still get a 20% discount?

Does that mean if i make a few upfront payments of 500$ over time it is no different than doing it all in one go?

Wont they both be the same?
(I haven't done maths for over 4 months so i dont trust myself lol)

say if your fees are $3000.. you pay $3000 upfront, 20% discount = $2400

and if you pay $500 each time.. 20% discount = $400.. over 6 installations.. = $2400?

Okay.. i'm confusing myself..

I'm not even going to repay the govt.. not paying my HECS at all =]

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Whatever you pay prior to the date it's required to be paid for gets a 20% discount. After the date, I assume it falls into the 15% bracket, as it's now considered a voluntary repayment of a debt you have already generated.

The actuaries of the world will point out that it's actually better to hold onto the money and get the interest and pay it back at the end through your payroll/tax system...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What degree you doing? If its in the same area, the price won't change since its in the same band.

Secondly, most other uni's dont allow you to almost have full control over your timetable, thats why they can offer to shift you around, since its on their terms.

Third, quit your whining, you want to change AFTER the designated time, be thankful you're even allowed to do so.

Fourth, filling in the forms and dropping/entering won't take you more than 15 minutes max, so its not some bloody chore.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Yeah I've read about the HECS Upfront Vs Installment Payback and there are really no loopholes. Under no circumstances is HECS tax deductable.

minalata said:
i enrolled today, and being the indecisive person that i am, i have already decided to drop a subject and shift my timetable around. Does this mean that i have to go back and start the whole process of getting an academic to sign and approve of my timetable and putting my subjects into the comp?

or can i do this myself on the estudent thingy????

thanks.
If you can do it on Estudent then it should be fine along as its before the Census date which is sometime the end of March, however as '...' pointed out, first year students are not able to without written permission.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
hey with eftpos. i know if it was a cashout, the max transaction is like 800$, but what if it is a non-cash transaction? like paying for hecs.. is it still just an 800$ limit per day?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
hey with eftpos. i know if it was a cashout, the max transaction is like 800$, but what if it is a non-cash transaction? like paying for hecs.. is it still just an 800$ limit per day?
Yeah still limited to $800.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Hmm. i dunno if paying hecs at the end is better. After the census date there is that 20% extra that needs to be paid. Im pretty sure that paying some amounts before the census date to get the discount is well worth it.

Another thing, at least what i remember my dad saying (hes a financial advisor/planner) is that when you later need a loan, they actually consider your outstanding hecs debt, as was the case when my brother got a loan for his unit, and it could effect how much you can borrow or at least have some impact on matters like that.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
knobblett said:
And I rang the Commonwealth Bank last week, and they said we can pay for whatever on the card, just that the $800 limit is for cash pulled out of an ATM.
the woman at ses said it was an 800$ limit. She said paying installments of 500$ or more before the census date is the same as paying it all in one go in terms of the discount so ill just do the former. Its kind of annoying though because i ahve to make 2 extra visits and im still not certain if i have to do this by Feb 24 of March 31. bah!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)