• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chem Marks: what is good and what's not? (1 Viewer)

asquith

HSC
what mark should you expect in chemistry...for my last test it got 45 out of 68 and came second in the class. my opinion is that only one person tried in chemistry and got 48/63 and no one is really too bright. perhaps it is a sign to drop that subject or not...?

tennille

HSC
asquith said:
what mark should you expect in chemistry...for my last test it got 45 out of 68 and came second in the class. my opinion is that only one person tried in chemistry and got 48/63 and no one is really too bright. perhaps it is a sign to drop that subject or not...?
It really depends on the difficulty of the exam. If the person who came first in the exam received 48/63, then maybe the exam was difficult.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Well in my class, 1st got 93%. 2nd got 63%. and pretty much every1 else got under 50%

So yeah...i think my school is just weird.

Last edited:

Sofstar

HSC
lol. My grade average for the Yr 11 yearlys was about 40%, not surprisingly not many people have stayed on.

HSC
Well it really depends on the difficulty of the tasks set by schools... because some internal assessments may be really difficult however when the students do the externals they do great because it tends to be easier than what theyve been doing....

I got an average of 90% throughout HSC internal course (2nd in my class) not sure how this will match upto my external

But i suggest you keep the subject since you weren't far off the mark that the first person got. See how the subject goes, you can always drop it...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
Well it really depends on the difficulty of the tasks set by schools... because some internal assessments may be really difficult however when the students do the externals they do great because it tends to be easier than what theyve been doing....

I got an average of 90% throughout HSC internal course (2nd in my class) not sure how this will match upto my external

But i suggest you keep the subject since you weren't far off the mark that the first person got. See how the subject goes, you can always drop it...
Heyy ... that's the exact same figures for my 1st HSC Chemistry assessment !! Woohoo !!

HSC
Thats excellent! Yea i was consistently 2nd throughout the whole yr, so if you just keep the work up you will be fine :)

ossephj

HSC
Yeh, keep it. Dont lose Chemistry, until you really think you are struggling. Remember, Chemistry is life, and if you lose life, where else will you go?

Also, another thing, never give up. During my HSC Chemistry course, i preety much failed my first 2 assessments and my ranking got as low as 19th. The next 4 assessments, I averaged 95% and came 1st in the trial, and overall first. So, never give up. If you have the MOTIVATION, and EAGERNESS to do well, you will do well. When you study chemistry, make sure you try to study beyond what the school provides, the two books I cross referenced and read and do questions in were Conquering Chemistry by Roland Smith and Chemistry Contexts 2 by Debbie Irwin. Both books are great books and have brilliant exercises and explanations.

I hope you continue studying chemistry.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ossephj said:
Yeh, keep it. Dont lose Chemistry, until you really think you are struggling. Remember, Chemistry is life, and if you lose life, where else will you go?

Also, another thing, never give up. During my HSC Chemistry course, i preety much failed my first 2 assessments and my ranking got as low as 19th. The next 4 assessments, I averaged 95% and came 1st in the trial, and overall first. So, never give up. If you have the MOTIVATION, and EAGERNESS to do well, you will do well. When you study chemistry, make sure you try to study beyond what the school provides, the two books I cross referenced and read and do questions in were Conquering Chemistry by Roland Smith and Chemistry Contexts 2 by Debbie Irwin. Both books are great books and have brilliant exercises and explanations.

I hope you continue studying chemistry.
Chemistry would be the last subject I would drop if I took on more units, but I can confirm I will not be dropping Chemistry.

Sofstar

HSC
I wouldnt drop chem either.....well we havent had our assessments yet, lol. But chem classes are interesting. Beats maths anyday.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Sofstar said:
I wouldnt drop chem either.....well we havent had our assessments yet, lol. But chem classes are interesting. Beats maths anyday.
There's chemicals to play with and I get good marks with my assessments, one of the best subjects I have chosen ...

dongypro

HSC
only ranks matter

in real hsc a raw mark of 80% + is good

Riviet

HSC
N/A
asquith said:
Well you didn't fail miserably or at the bottom of the class so there really shouldn't be any feelings about dropping anything right now. The mark you expect would also depend on how well you've prepared for the test/prac. Keep it up. ;)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i averaged about 60% for all my chemistry assesments but ended up with a mid band 5 in chemistry ... so yeah, i would say that it depends on the difficulty. one way to find out would be to have a look at the standard packages for Chemistry and see if difficulty would be on par with your school assessments.

yleadbetter

yleadbetter
HSC
im doing chemistry this year too and dont fret dude. it seems to me like every school faces the same problem: a group of people who thought itd be a fun subject to choose but couldnt be bothered working for. i dont mind the subject, and im floating around 1st/2nd at 75% marks. 75% is a poor mark in my opinion, but im still aiming for mid to high band 5's in the HSC. ranks are important, but come HSC, im sure you will pluck the motivation to learn ur stuff and do well. im saying this now because i need to assure myself of it. but after all, the HSC isnt rocket science and its not designed to be impossible for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)