• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Comm/Sci question (1 Viewer)

Yip

HSC
Im doing the B.Commerce/B.Science degree at UNSW, with the intention of majoring in actuarial studies and mathematics. However, I dont really like the recommended program that is on the unsw math department website for first year. I was wondering whether i am allowed switch the courses, MATH1081 (Discrete maths) in session 1, and COMP1911 in session 2 with FINS1612, and ECON1102 without losing my mathematics major, and whether not doing that math and computing subject would impact on/exclude me from higher level maths courses. Discrete maths sounds really boring, and im not really into programming. I would rather do a bit more finance subjects. Thanks for any replies^^

Raginsheep

HSC
You need to do 24 units of 1st year science so the discrete maths is an elective for you. As for comp1911, you should consider it and the actuarial lecturer promotes it hard. Do it during sem1 if possible because you get a better lecturer.

Yip

HSC
THanks for the advice raginsheep^^ I was just wondering at how difficult discrete maths is; im sorta worried about it because it deals with set theory, number theory etc., stuff i havent done a lot of. Is the stuff learnt in discrete used alot in later math courses in actuarial? also, about the COMP1911 course, i have no experience in programming, would that put me at a disadvantage in this course? and again, is the stuff learnt in COMP1911 used alot in later years in an actuarial degree?

Raginsheep

HSC
I did COMP1911 without any programming experience and I did ok. The stuff taught starts by assuming you have no knowledge but you do need to put in solid effort. Chances are, you'll probably come across programming of some sort in the work place and its better if you learn the basics now rather than later. ACTL1001 requires you to program in excel and once you know basic programming, the logic will be very similar. I can't comment on later year courses though.

milton

HSC
Yip said:
Im doing the B.Commerce/B.Science degree at UNSW, with the intention of majoring in actuarial studies and mathematics. However, I dont really like the recommended program that is on the unsw math department website for first year. I was wondering whether i am allowed switch the courses, MATH1081 (Discrete maths) in session 1, and COMP1911 in session 2 with FINS1612, and ECON1102 without losing my mathematics major, and whether not doing that math and computing subject would impact on/exclude me from higher level maths courses. Discrete maths sounds really boring, and im not really into programming. I would rather do a bit more finance subjects. Thanks for any replies^^
i find it quite ironic that, i'm doing just a plain BCom (actuarial) and i want to do some maths/computing subjects and i don't think i'm really interested in this finance subject FINS1612 i've enrolled in. i'm really into maths/computing but i have to major/minor in another area from commerce

Affinity

HSC
Yip said:
As long as you do the courses it's fine. MATH1081 is according to the rules compulsory for a mathematics major unless you get a this exempted by the maths school. It's not really a prereq for anything.

Also as mentioned by raginsheep you must do 24 UOC of first year science courses. Unless you want to do something else like for example philosophy, physics or chemistry. Those 2 courses are the best.

Personal advice: follow the plan for first 2 years atleast.

qwerty017044

HSC
MATH1081 is according to the rules compulsory for a mathematics major unless you get a this exempted by the maths school.

damn...

I cant find anything that says 1081 is required for math major on the website though.

and how would you get exempted . Can you ask to do the exam without enrolling in the course

Weimin

HSC
Math1081 is not a compulsory subject for any math major now. I checked that in October last year. I remember i found all the required coursed on a pdf document from the web, which doesn't include 1081. Better check it yourself.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
discrete sucks balls if jie du isnt lecturing. you can go the easy way and take hpsc or psyc isntead. i guess discrete does help you with notation, set theoryand logic, because the lecturers use all this crazy new notation in maths assuming that high school kids understand all these symbols.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)