• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

commerce (1 Viewer)

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Same as everywhere else. Don't let people put you off UWS because of their elitist views.

I enjoy my course (B Business & Commerce) at UWS, and find it interesting (each to their own).

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
if your a dumbass, comm at unsw/usyd/uws makes no difference

if your not a dumbass, comm at unsw/usyd/uws makes a bit of a difference

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm going to say that due to the cut-offs, the candidature at UWS is going to be a bit weaker than at UNSW or Sydney or Macquarie.

Thus, by the Pygmalion effect, you should seek to go to the higher cut-off Commerce courses.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
wats commerce at uws like? please no posts on uws being a shit uni :)
To me I think its best that you study Business and Commerce at UWS then say UNSW or USyd. Its not an easy degree and its units have significant failure rates of up to 2/5 students so don't judge Business and Commerce at UWS by its cut-off. The reason why I said its better to study at any UWS campus is because of the fact that the tutors are more readily available to help you whereas USyd and UNSW are not always there and will require you to book a consultation time according to a few friends of mine who studied at UNSW.

Tip: If you do plan on undertaking studies here you will be required to register in classes with a flexible timetable. That is you will need to look up on the handbook once you are given a placement and enrol in the units. During tutorial registration day/times you will need to literally fight for your placement in the class of your choice. So if you do plan on coming here I'd say create your timetable now! Plus during your first tutorials for each class we always play icebreaker activities to get to know one another - same during O Day.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
To me I think its best that you study Business and Commerce at UWS then say UNSW or USyd. Its not an easy degree and its units have significant failure rates of up to 2/5 students so don't judge Business and Commerce at UWS by its cut-off. The reason why I said its better to study at any UWS campus is because of the fact that the tutors are more readily available to help you whereas USyd and UNSW are not always there and will require you to book a consultation time according to a few friends of mine who studied at UNSW.

Tip: If you do plan on undertaking studies here you will be required to register in classes with a flexible timetable. That is you will need to look up on the handbook once you are given a placement and enrol in the units. During tutorial registration day/times you will need to literally fight for your placement in the class of your choice. So if you do plan on coming here I'd say create your timetable now! Plus during your first tutorials for each class we always play icebreaker activities to get to know one another - same during O Day.
So you're saying we should assess how good the course is by how many people fail it. Okay.

Seriously though, tell me how at UWS this consultation thing works. I'm interested.

But you can also apply to UNSW which has the best Commerce degree in the nation, arguably, plus get to plan tutes and that from the comfort of your own home by speed clicking and being ninja.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
So you're saying we should assess how good the course is by how many people fail it. Okay.

Seriously though, tell me how at UWS this consultation thing works. I'm interested.

But you can also apply to UNSW which has the best Commerce degree in the nation, arguably, plus get to plan tutes and that from the comfort of your own home by speed clicking and being ninja.
No no. That is not what I meant that you should assess a course by its failure rate. Remember that your university and mine provide different opportunities, environments and flexible hours etc - its just UWS has shiz parking. In the end it comes down to what we make out of the degree doesn't it? A UNSW or USyd student can always outbest a Harvard or Oxford student - there is no solid evidence to say that Harvard B students are more preferable to say a UNSW B student - and if there is that is bias! My brother goes to Oxford but he still missed out on employment to someone studying at Georgetown and Kingston.

As for consultations - our tutors are always readily available after class, during consultation times (and even have time in between breaks and lunches), reply to emails (or at least attempt to reply to them before you threaten to email the unit coordinator) and from what I hear the tutors at UNSW are not as much approachable to UWS - and this comes from a UNSW student studying Arts transferring to UWS Law and vice versa from my friend who went from UWS to UNSW.

LOL as for the best in the nation, I have a few friends who are students at USyd and UMelb who will beg to differ from your opinion. I do agree with the fact that you have to shed blood and sweat just to enrol for your classes and at times end up having to bargain with other students for that spot - it is a b*tch. But sadly I do not plan to transfer from UWS to study commerce at UNSW ~ I plan to do so from UWS to USyd Med Sci or UTS BioMed Sci - I'll leave commerce for you guys to take as it is no longer my cup of tea. So lemme know what drops in the commerce world - ps. I believe that the property major is a waste of time in commerce... you can apply for a real estate agency position at any real estate so what gives with studying a degree for three years.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course Harvard students are more preferable to a UNSW student. If two people are the same but one went to Harvard and one went to UNSW, why would you pick the UNSW one? It's not bias, it's called course prestige in the workforce.

And tutors are human beings too. If you pop into their office, they're not gonna go "OMGWTF GET OUT ITS NOT MY CONSULTATION TIME NOW" - but then who knows, that's contentious.

And the ASB at UNSW is generally recognised as the best in the state, I think, not sure about the entire country though.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Of course Harvard students are more preferable to a UNSW student. If two people are the same but one went to Harvard and one went to UNSW, why would you pick the UNSW one? It's not bias, it's called course prestige in the workforce.

And tutors are human beings too. If you pop into their office, they're not gonna go "OMGWTF GET OUT ITS NOT MY CONSULTATION TIME NOW" - but then who knows, that's contentious.

And the ASB at UNSW is generally recognised as the best in the state, I think, not sure about the entire country though.
It is true what you say about course prestige but that does not explain why an Oxford Student fell to the deepest pits of the abyss when a "Georgetown" Student managed to rise above the clouds in employment opportunities. How is it that a #7 University in the World lost to #35 (or did it drop since the last time I saw because of the Occupy Protests who knows)?!

I guess our tutors just have time to waste since they don't throw a vase or any object conveniently placed in the room when we knock on the door and ask for a minute of their time. UWS is a newly emerged university - still growing from faults and strengths. We have more than one campus in which you can study B Business and Commerce from: Campbelltown, Parramatta, Bankstown, Penrith etc. Just choose the campus that is right for you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well maybe the Oxford student was a horrible person who just was good academically but not socially.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Well maybe the Oxford student was a horrible person who just was good academically but not socially.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011
Wait! Georgetown did not make it to Top 50 this year. I assure you kind sir, this person was given a scholarship plus opportunity to do a clinical placement at Mass General Hospital and is actively participating in social events. See, as you said, maybe a top university student was so horrible socially but great academically and did not get that position in the end. The same can be said for a UWS student in comparison to a MacqUni student etc. ^___^

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True. If you go to UWS and you're a great person, I'd hire you over a Macquarie person who is a bit mean.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
To answer OP's question, the commerce degree at UWS is great. We have some really good lecturers. I had two amazing lecturers this year, for accounting and economics (Daniel Leung, who has now left unfortunately..accounting.. and John Lodejwicks (i dunno how to spell his last name) for economics) we also have some fantastic tutors, one of the best being Debbie Cummings who is an accounting tutor and also has her own accounting practice. A lot of our teachers practice in their professions and also teach which means that the information that we learn is current and also interesting because they always try to make it connect to the real world.
I personally really enjoy the commerce degree. Its one of those degrees that is not too stressful or time consuming. I think the content is very straightforward, not very difficult at all.
Would I change unis? Yes, but not because the commerce degree is bad, but there are some factors that play into it for me, the biggest being the fact that it takes me an hour and fourty minutes by public transport to get to uni and another hour and fourty minutes to get back. It's hell, esp in peak hour where the train is full and you hve to carry 3-4 textbooks for such a great length of time.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Shouldn't UTS be considered good as its atar is about 92..

muhahahahahaha

HSC
It's about how much demand there is on that degree in that uni to how high they place their attar cut off. From heat I hear, uts comm degree is pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)