• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cyclone Larry (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
ABC Online: Larry smashes far north Qld coast

Category 5 cyclone Larry has smashed into the far north Queensland coast, lashing the area with winds of up to 290 kilometres an hour.

Meteorologists say it is one of the biggest ever seen and residents say its force is frightening

Larry's destructive core has hit the coast near Innisfail, south of Cairns.

[continued]
SMH Online: Homes 'destroyed' as Larry hits
March 20, 2006 - 9:58AM
Page 1 of 2 | Single page

Category five Cyclone Larry is tearing homes apart as it crosses the far north Queensland coast, with police unable to leave their station to answer desperate calls for help.

The most destructive part of the huge storm has made landfall near the town of Innisfail, south of Cairns, unroofing homes with wind gusts reaching 290kph.

Larry's winds are at least as strong as those Cyclone Tracy unleashed in Darwin in 1974, in a storm that killed 71 people and destroyed more than 70 per cent of the city's buildings, leaving over 20,000 people homeless.

[continued]
ABC Online: North Qld residents reel from 'shocker' storm

Residents in far north Queensland have provided dramatic accounts of the impact of cyclone Larry as it crossed the coast.

[continued]

HotShot

-_-
HSC
lets hope noone died.. damn i was thinking queensland would be nice place to live, but at least its in the far north.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I hope the media get up there while it's still raging. I so sick of amateur footage of natural disasters.

Anybody know what federal electorate covers Innisfail? Will massive human losses alter the voting pattern of the region?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
well as long as Bush dosent handle the relief operations there is hope.

No reported casulties.

K

katie_tully

No human losses and it didn't occur in a third world country. Nice to see the lack of interest in cyclone Larry.

I was annoyed at the reaction of the government towards aid initially. Nice to see they've boosted the package.

hugglebuddy

HSC
Well hello from Innisfail... the little town devestated by cyclone larry. at the moment i am one of the lucky ones who has power. we went through the cyclone and are all safe. it is amazing that no one was killed. i have only lived in innisfail since november and was loving the amazing town. now all it is is a toen of partially destroyed or damaged houses and rubble. the week without water and power was difficult but all is getting a little more bearable. we got power on sunday at 6pm. we have underground power lines and live in the same street as the mayor so we were the first to get power. it must be so devestating for those who lost everything!

we should just be grateful that no one was hurt :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)