• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dealing with everything.HELP? (1 Viewer)

nicbono

HSC
its only year 11, haha and i sound wimpy, but
half yearlys are coming up and i feel like everything
has just hit me in the face at once.
i would really love it if someone could give me some tips.
to deal with my afternoons and how to productivly work
and not get over whelmed, and surly others
are having the same problem :confused:

thanks a bundle

nicole.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't worry - take one day at a time. Prepare all your work beforehand, know your stuff, and you will be fine.

Felix Jones

HSC
first of all....dont panic!!!
honestly dont ever study to the point where you neglect you physical and social life...not worth it.

i reckon u should learn to balance these, when all your other need shave been fulfilled, only then can u study effectively and excel. there is no point u reading a text book, when u know u should be at ur mates b'day party....u get frustrated and u cant concentrate.....currently im in year 12, but i still do alot of sports and have a relatively good social life.

btw, my performance at school is also good (trying my best not to sound arrogant, or pompous in any way)

selablad

HSC
nicbono said:
its only year 11, haha and i sound wimpy, but
half yearlys are coming up and i feel like everything
has just hit me in the face at once.
i would really love it if someone could give me some tips.
to deal with my afternoons and how to productivly work
and not get over whelmed, and surly others
are having the same problem :confused:

thanks a bundle

nicole.
If it all seems like too much, just make a list of what needs to be done. Then you'll see how little it really is, and you can take each step at a time, and because it's so logical, it calms you (or it does for me anyway ;)) good luck anyway :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Don't worry - take one day at a time. Prepare all your work beforehand, know your stuff, and you will be fine.
I agree. It's only Year 11. Develop on your study habits, and continue to persevere with your studies, with persistence and diligence.

HSC
:D
selablad said:
If it all seems like too much, just make a list of what needs to be done. Then you'll see how little it really is, and you can take each step at a time, and because it's so logical, it calms you (or it does for me anyway ;)) good luck anyway :)
Lists are fantastic. I made one this morning, and managed to get everything done.

Only problem is that this was stuff that absolutely had to be done by tomorrow, and neglects the fact that I have exams in two weeks, an overdue religion assignment, over half of a PE assignment for next week and an upcoming Ancient History test.

Working from the list idea, perhaps make one each afternoon and divide things into three categories:
  • Immediate Tasks - ie studying for tests the next day, finishing assignments due the next day, perhaps completing (relevant) homework, etc. These tasks obviously take first priority.
  • Short Term Tasks - preparing assignments and tests for later on in the week, relevant homework thats not immediate, preparing for exams once they're about a week away (I need to take note for myself here!;) )
  • Long Term Tasks - Major Works, Assignments with a more extended due date, preparing for distant exams (past papers/writing notes) etc.
Your idea of immediate/short term/long term tasks might be different, but it just allows you to prioritise a little bit more and not feel QUITE so overwhelmed. For me, there's also a greater sense of accomplishment for finshing all of the immediate tasks, rather than thinking "shit, I haven't done any exam study". I hope that this can be of some help:D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
babikakez said:

for tests the next day, finishing assignments due the next day, perhaps completing (relevant) homework, etc. These tasks obviously take first priority.
  • Short Term Tasks - preparing assignments and tests for later on in the week, relevant homework thats not immediate, preparing for exams once they're about a week away (I need to take note for myself here!;) )
  • Long Term Tasks - Major Works, Assignments with a more extended due date, preparing for distant exams (past papers/writing notes) etc.
I get through my short term tasks, nothing else ever... i'm jsut too lazy. I leave them till they become short term tasks before doing them. :D

HSC
foram said:
I get through my short term tasks, nothing else ever... i'm jsut too lazy. I leave them till they become short term tasks before doing them. :D
I'm the same. But I'm a lot more productive when I'm under time pressure - read my maths assignment that I've had for a week and a half was only completed today, and I only started preparing for my tomorrow's English assessment (that I've known about for over a week) today.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:
Yeah I do that too. I do them in highlighters that make them look bright and happy. Then I just do whichever one I feel like doing the most first (usually maths) then I leave the ones I don't really want to do at the end because I know I can concentrate more at night than in the afternoon (this is where I get my english h/w done). Then after you finish every little thing you can just tick them off or cross them off and it'll give you a good feeling that you've just completed a task. Just remember to prioritise and don't forget to walk around or something every 50mins!

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
babikakez said:

Lists are fantastic. I made one this morning, and managed to get everything done.

Only problem is that this was stuff that absolutely had to be done by tomorrow, and neglects the fact that I have exams in two weeks, an overdue religion assignment, over half of a PE assignment for next week and an upcoming Ancient History test.

Working from the list idea, perhaps make one each afternoon and divide things into three categories:
  • Immediate Tasks - ie studying for tests the next day, finishing assignments due the next day, perhaps completing (relevant) homework, etc. These tasks obviously take first priority.
Your idea of immediate/short term/long term tasks might be different, but it just allows you to prioritise a little bit more and not feel QUITE so overwhelmed. For me, there's also a greater sense of accomplishment for finshing all of the immediate tasks, rather than thinking "shit, I haven't done any exam study". I hope that this can be of some help:D
Agree agree agree agree. To-do lists are freaking lifesavers - though a school diary (if you have a decent one) would also be a pretty good substitute. I use a system of chucking everything (homework, assignments, events, reminders, etc) I have to do in the diary. For homework and assignments, I just tick them off. For events and reminders though, I use those sticky note thingys that I put next to my alarm clock so that I remember in the morning.

Just get organised and everything seems 50 times better. I find that having everything neat and tidy works well too. :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Everything everyone has mentioned is great, but make sure you SLEEP! and sleep WELL! Your brain needs downtime to process information and help you remember things. Aim for 8 hours a night, sometimes this is impossible i know, but trust me, those 5 hours of study mean shit if you only get a few hours of sleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)