• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

demerit points need DESPERATE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
ok im a Red P, P1, and i got booked for being on the left hand side of a car in the same lane...mind you it was a massive lane, the car was on the FAR right and was quit slow...I HAVE NEVER BEEN BOOKED BEFORE so yeh....

now how does this demerti thing work? police said you lost 2 demerit points and i have to pay a fine...fair enough i learnt my mistake...BUT, what i dont get is that isnt that you have certain number of point on your card and if u reach zero you lose your licence? OR is it that once you reach or exceed a forbidden amount that you lost your license? i went to check my record on RTA website and it said:

"
You have a total of 0 demerit point(s) on your licence.

Your licence will be suspended if your total demerit points reach or exceed 4."

(now keep in mind, the system had not been updated yet, i checked this like straight after i finished with the police...)

then i went to the demerits page on the website and it says

The demerit points system involves the allocation of penalty points (demerits) for a range of driving offences. Introduced in NSW in 1969, the demerit points system is a national initiative that is currently in place in all States and the ACT.

The demerit points system is designed to encourage safe driving. Coupled with financial penalties, demerit points have proven to provide a strong incentive to drive within the law.

Accumulating points
When a licence holder accumulates a certain number of demerit points, his or her licence will be suspended. The number of points varies for different licence types as follows:

Full unrestricted licence holders (gold, silver or magenta) – 12 demerit points in any three year period.
Provisional P1 licence – 4 points.
Provisional P2 licence – 7 points.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME CLARITY

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
No i cant give you clarity im sorry, cause i need help on this too!

I ran a red light today and got a lovely portrait taken of my car. How many points to i lose? Also, ill be on my green ps in two months, meaning i go up to seven points. However, if i lose 2 points and go to 2 points on my red ps instead of four, when i get my green ps do i go up to 5 instead of 7?

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
i have no idea...im so confused...i mean i spoke to this "official" and he had NOO clue whatsoever!!

ZabZu

HSC
oki ill try clarify this for all of you.

Once you get your red p's you have 3 points, green p's 6 points and full licence 12 points. If you get caught breaking the traffic laws you lose points (in other words, get demerit points). For example, on your red p's you lose your licence after obtaining 4 demerit points (i know its confusing since you only have 3 points).

Each dermit point eats away at the number of points you have on your licence.

Do you understand now?

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Not completely.

When your license class goes up do you start fresh with points? Eg. P1 -> P2

ZabZu

HSC
Beckiki_S said:
Not completely.

When your license class goes up do you start fresh with points? Eg. P1 -> P2
Yes. Also your demerit points disappear when you renew your licence.

For people who lose their licence, when they get it back they start afresh with all 3,6 or 12 points.

Scanorama

HSC
Demerit points last for 3 years. So Beckiki_S when you got your Green Ps, you will have 5 points. Even if you got a new licence (P1>P2, P2>Full), the points will still stay there, it won't be taken away, until the 3 years period have expired.

If your licence is suspended, then when you get it back, yes you will get all your points back.

ZabZu

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Demerit points last for 3 years. So Beckiki_S when you got your Green Ps, you will have 5 points. Even if you got a new licence (P1>P2, P2>Full), the points will still stay there, it won't be taken away, until the 3 years period have expired.
I found some info about demerit points in the 'A guide for New Drivers' book.

"P1 Licences- P1 licence holders are allowed three demerit points during the 18month term of the licence. A P1 licence will be suspended for a period of three months if four or more demerit points are accumulated."

So once you progress from p1 to p2 you have 6 points on your licence regardless if you lost points.

Whitlam i reckon you have that 3 year figure because most full licences are valid for a 3 year term.

Scanorama

HSC
ZabZu said:
I found some info about demerit points in the 'A guide for New Drivers' book.

"P1 Licences- P1 licence holders are allowed three demerit points during the 18month term of the licence. A P1 licence will be suspended for a period of three months if four or more demerit points are accumulated."

So once you progress from p1 to p2 you have 6 points on your licence regardless if you lost points.

Whitlam i reckon you have that 3 year figure because most full licences are valid for a 3 year term.
I got that info from when my friend was in a car accident. The cop said she got 3 demerit points and she will get it back in 3 years time. And she specifically told her even when she got her Green Ps, she will only get 4 points.

Most full licences are valid for 5 years and your have 4 demerit points while you are on Red Ps.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Beckiki_S said:
No i cant give you clarity im sorry, cause i need help on this too!

I ran a red light today and got a lovely portrait taken of my car. How many points to i lose? Also, ill be on my green ps in two months, meaning i go up to seven points. However, if i lose 2 points and go to 2 points on my red ps instead of four, when i get my green ps do i go up to 5 instead of 7?

This I can help you with. Firstly, its 3 points and $300 fine. Contact the RTA line for other concerns relating to licensing. However many of the Red-light cameras in NSW are not actually working properly, chances are you may not have got caught. You need to have passed the Stop line 0.3 seconds after the lights changing to red.

You will need to wait like 2-3 weeks for the infringement.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
just tell them their camera was wrong, whenever any1 in my family gets their picture taken for speeding, or red light camera, they either give a good excuse, like my aunty has chronic hayfever, so she said she sneezed and her foot slipped, or my dad has asthma so he said he was having an attack and reached for his ventilin whilst breaking and accidently ran a red light

or my mum just plain said they were wrong and gave some bullshit reason like "because i was at work at that time" or something and showed some sort of documentation to support herself and she got off

might not work cause u r a P1 driver and cops tend to look down on us, but just give it a go, say the car behind you wasnt going to stop in time or something

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I got that info from when my friend was in a car accident. The cop said she got 3 demerit points and she will get it back in 3 years time. And she specifically told her even when she got her Green Ps, she will only get 4 points.
Yeah, I can support that. My mate lost two or three demerit points when he crashed when he was on his Red P's (P1). Now he is on his Greens P's (P2) and doesn't have the full six points:).

As for writing a letter of explanation, my parents have each done it once saying that they had an impeccable driving record. They weren't so lucky the second time around though. I am actually writing my own letter now:p.

Jonathan A

HSC
Serius said:
just tell them their camera was wrong, whenever any1 in my family gets their picture taken for speeding, or red light camera, they either give a good excuse, like my aunty has chronic hayfever, so she said she sneezed and her foot slipped, or my dad has asthma so he said he was having an attack and reached for his ventilin whilst breaking and accidently ran a red light

or my mum just plain said they were wrong and gave some bullshit reason like "because i was at work at that time" or something and showed some sort of documentation to support herself and she got off

might not work cause u r a P1 driver and cops tend to look down on us, but just give it a go, say the car behind you wasnt going to stop in time or something

The way it works is this. Speec cameras and red light cameras ARE NOT CONTROLLED BY THE POLICE, they are an RTA initiative and the police have nothing at all to do with them. My father, a highway patrol commander doesn't like them as much as any other motorist and thinks they are a little unfair.

When you get fined, its from the Infringement Processing Bureau, they are now a branch of the State Debt Recovery Office under the State Revenue Office of the State Treasury. The IPB don't care about points and who loses points, they care about revenue. All they want is the fine to be paid. So if another drives, you will still get the fine if it is registered to you. You will need to declare that another person drove it and a fine will need to be paid.

A point about p-platers, even if you have a p-plate, it does not matter, there is no law that states it is illegal for a fully licensed driver to drive with them on, so they are not going to specifically target a 'p-plater'.

Jonathan A

HSC
Merethrond said:
Yeah, I can support that. My mate lost two or three demerit points when he crashed when he was on his Red P's (P1). Now he is on his Greens P's (P2) and doesn't have the full six points:).

As for writing a letter of explanation, my parents have each done it once saying that they had an impeccable driving record. They weren't so lucky the second time around though. I am actually writing my own letter now:p.

You have to word them properly, the IPB are very strict. Most cases like this need to go to court if its a technicality.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
They won't take you to court. They will either let you off or they won't. If they don't then you have to pay the fine:).

Jonathan A

HSC
Merethrond said:
They won't take you to court. They will either let you off or they won't. If they don't then you have to pay the fine:).

The IPB don't take people to court (however doesn't stop them from getting you back for not paying fines). If they refuse to pardon you, the only other legal avenue is to go to court.

Jonathan A

HSC
One thing about the fines though, they do often care about payment of penalties. You will be lucky to get off payment.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
All you have to do is wait for the fine in the mail if they didn't give it too you on the spot, if you are loosing your lisence you will be summonsed to court via mail. You will be told, its not like theyu expect to you do something without being told.

Jonathan A

HSC
DaddyK said:
All you have to do is wait for the fine in the mail if they didn't give it too you on the spot, if you are loosing your lisence you will be summonsed to court via mail. You will be told, its not like theyu expect to you do something without being told.

You don't need to go to court to have your license suspended. It is only if the offence is dangerous or require judicial review among other circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)