• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Design Experts (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey! Looking for any design experts who know the course back to front maybe a teacher in design andd tech or an ex student who knows it really really well, i just want to ask some specific questions.

Thanks-:eek:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I'm sure there are many passerby'ers who may be able to answer your questions, so you should consider posting them here.

jirwin

HSC
I got a Band 6 in DnT last year, so post your questions and I'll attempt to answer them as best I can.

HSC
Two questions...

- Identification and justification of resources
- Evidence and application of practical skills to produce a quality project

I looked at beak's guide but im not gripping the concept to well maybe because of a different heading i used for diffferent sections where it says resources i put it under "investigations to be carried out" and then next to "where to go" like two colums so now the second part asks

"Selection and use of ideas and resources"
and Identififcatiopn and justification of ideas and resources
is this where i re do my resources where i intially thought i was going go and then do an actual one?..... haha i dont think this makes sense but ay

and...this question

"Evidence and application of practical skills to produce a qualitiy project" in beakys it mentions mangament?.... is that right.

- thanks

:)

jirwin

HSC
I don't fully understand what you are trying to ask, so I am just going to explain what I did for the sections you have mentioned - hopefully this will clear some things up for you.

Identification and Justification of Resources:
For this section I identified the potential choices such as different idea/designs (i did a website, so different layouts, navigation styles etc). Basically all your concept sketches/idea generation. So I had a column named 'Potential Choices'. In this column I either had the designs i had come up with ( Layout One, Layout Two and so on) or I had different materials and techniques - such as different web design methods (html, css, javascript) software programs etc. If you were doing say a wood project then u would have different types of woods. If it was fabric - then different types of fabric.

The next column was 'Chosen Option' - so lets say i had designed 10 different logos - then i would have Logo 1, Logo 2, Logo 3.... and in the chosen option column i would indicate what logo i had chosen - e.g. Logo 3. the next column i justified why i had chosen that particular design. I did the same for techniques and materials. this is a form of ongoing evaluation.

I had lots of little tables. for the idea generation i had spilt all my ideas up into sections like logos, navigation, layouts etc. so i had a little table for each category. then with the materials i had tables for web design method, file formats, programs etc. made it easier to organise on the page.

Selection and Use of Ideas and Resources
For this section we were given a sheet that listed all the human/non-human resources and were told to write about them in relation to our projects. So for my project this is the gist of what i did:
People: who i would/could consult e.g. teacher, web design teacher, peers, family etc.
Time: stated that the project was year long but had to take into consideration other assessments for both dnt and other subjects, as well as exam periods (trials).
Finance: where the money for this project is coming from - family, savings, part time job etc stated why i would be using that money - e.g. i dont have a job and therefore my parents would have to support me through the completion of this project.
Information: where information would be coming from - e.g. teacher would project advice and information on how to complete the folio - textbooks, research on my design project etc.
Tools: what tools i would use and where i could use them. e.g. you could say that u will be using wood working tools from school as u didnt have access to them at home. i stated that i would be using a computer both at home and at school and also said what programs i would most likely be using.
Skills: where u are going to get hte skills from - are you going to do an extra course outside of school, have u already acquired these skills, are u going to read a book to learn etc.
Materials: where you would be getting materials from - school, home, need to purchase etc. you dont necessarily need to use all the materials u state - as this is in the 'proposal' section of the project - therefore u are just covering all bases and ideas - from here you would test different materials, research experiement etc.
Energy: what energy will u use - renewable vs non-renewable, why/why not. Tip: include that you will be getting your energy from food - u too need energy to complete this project - many people just focus on the project itself, dont forget who is working on the project :)
You just have to keep justifying and explaining stuff - basically its just bullshitting and making it sound good - well to me it is.

Evidence and application of practical skills to produce a qualitiy project
For this section we were required to take photos of us building the project throughout the entire generation and also to explain a bit of what was happening at each step. So for mine, i took screenshots of my website everytime i did something different - explained what i had done and whether i thought it was a success. so say if u were doing somethign with wood - you would get someone to take a photo of u cutting a piece of wood and then label it 'cutting wood for joining' or whatever. basically its just creating evidence that you actually did the project yourself and not someone else. do not include your face in the photos and be aware of OH&S issues - i read in the marking notes that quite a lot of projects dont look like they have followed simple safety when building and constructing.

Anyway i hoped that helped.
What is your project by the way? It will help me/others to offer advice relevant to your particular needs.

Post or PM me if you have any other questions throughout the year. I am happy to help :)

HSC
Thank you so much! that really need help , so much appreciation :) and yes ill let you know of if i have further questions- im doing a dress, its different hopefully lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)