• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Devil May Cry 3 (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

Devil May Cry 3 - first look

If the Devil May Cry titles were laid end to end in chronological order, they'd represent a downward spiral of quality. Now that may sound like a rather damning statement to open up our hands-on play of the third instalment, but as this is in fact a prequel to the previous adventures, it sits at the top of our quality-o-meter. While the second fired blanks, the first was an instant classic, and this rounds off the trio with style. And that's no lie. From what we've played, DMC3 really is shaping up to be the best of the lot.

Although the basic setup is the same - battle against an attack of horrible evil things with gymnastic gunplay that would make a Hong Kong movie stuntman weep - this time things are spiced up by two things. The first is the appearance of Dante's half-brother, Virgil, and the prospect of a fight between the two (we're half-hoping, half-expecting a Dante vs Virgil showdown) makes everything just that little more interesting. The second is that the emergence of our white-haired warrior's demonic powers - this is set before the first game, remember - is also dealt with. Those powers have been restructured across a style system, which lets you choose between a different combination of skills based on Dante's swordsmanship and gunplay before each level. It seems to work very well, although the results are dependent on how you play. Out of the crop of styles we sampled, our favourite attack was the Gunslinger mode's Twosome Time special move which sees Dante twirl his handguns while firing shots in circles all around him. Firing the weapon soon becomes as effortless to the player as shaking pompoms is to a pretty cheerleader.

Speaking of pretty, DMC3 has certainly been turning our heads. It's a real beauty, albeit in a floaty Gothic dress and kinky rocker boots. But we digress... The dark overtones have been kept, but also tarted up a little. There's an interesting hybrid of locations going on, as seen when our adventure ended in an old theatre that housed an underground nightclub, complete with snaking staircases, a Saturday Night Fever dancefloor and - get this - a podium dancer pole that Dante can swing around for an extra attack move. The camera has also been repositioned, offering a better perspective on what's going on - so not only does the game look better overall, it also helps you see things clearer. We can't tell you how polished and buffed up this feels. Somehow Capcom has managed to put the new car smell back in. And so we await those tears. With a nice new box of tissues.

http://au.playstation.com/news/dmc3_firstlook.jhtml
I, for one, can't wait.

Who's played the first and second? I'm glad the first impression of this one is good, because the second one was shocking.

Anyone buying?

Here's the official trailer:
http://xfersf02.ign.com/^797767289/...19/519417/DevilMayCry3_E3_2004_wmvlow-002.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
I played the first one and found it to be one of the best games at the time. I has mad fighting actions, though they get very repetitive. The weapons were cool too. Typical hack and slash game, no plot but great gameplay.
Now Microsoft gets whoever to virtually copy it and come up with Ninja Gaiden (which is better than any Devil May Cry, easily) and once again PS2's advantage over Xbox is gone. Damn Microsoft.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i dont suppose they have a PC version of either DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden?

J

jhakka

reno2004 said:
I played the first one and found it to be one of the best games at the time. I has mad fighting actions, though they get very repetitive. The weapons were cool too. Typical hack and slash game, no plot but great gameplay.
Now Microsoft gets whoever to virtually copy it and come up with Ninja Gaiden (which is better than any Devil May Cry, easily) and once again PS2's advantage over Xbox is gone. Damn Microsoft.
Bastards.

Jago, the DMC series is only on PS2 as far as I know.

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
i only saw the game video from electronic gamer, looks so kool tho. I love that kinda game genre. It rocks

PS2MODS

HSC
who wouldnt wanna go play a hack and slash game?
capcom makes such sick titles

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
the 3rd one sounds good.

I got the 1st one ages ago and loved it, though i never got the second one because i heard it was very disappointing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)