• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Difference between ADH and Aldosterone (1 Viewer)

Kristyn117

HSC
What's the difference between ADH and Aldosterone? Or are they the same thing?

zingerburger

HSC
ADH (vasopressin) increases the permeability of the collecting duct. This makes water reabsorption easier and changes the concentration of urine. It is produced in the hypothalamus and secreted from the posterior pituitary gland.

Aldosterone increases the reabsorption of sodium ions into the blood in the loop of Henle and distal tubes. Water follows by osmosis and increases blood pressure.

jannny

HSC
Aldosterone also increases the salt level of the body as well right? as well as increasing the blood pressure.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Yes, zingerburger did mention Aldosterone increases reabsorption of Na+ ions too.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
yeah i THINK that aldosterone is released when there is high levels or water and low levels of salts and ADH is released when there is low levels of water and high levels of salt...so its like one or the other, they're not secreted at the same time...i think

somewhereelse

HSC
increased aldosterone is triggered by both low sodium and high potassium, and its release causes more sodium to be reabsorbed into the blood, and therefore more water by osmosis, = higher blood pressure
and vice versa, high levels of sodium/low pottasium in the blood reduces the release of aldosterone, reducing sodium reabsorbtion, reducing blood pressure..
& it comes from the adrenal cortex, which is above the kidneys (think, aldo kinda sounds like adrenal)
ADH (aka vasopressin) anti-DIURETIC-hormone, so you'll remember it has something to do with diuresis, which is loss of water from body. anti-diuretic is keeping water in- triggered by high solute concentration in the blood (essentially the same thing as low blood volume, because this means the solutes are more concentrated) as detected by the hypothalamus (control centre) hypothalamus triggers the pituary gland to release ADH which increases the permeability of the membranes in the kidney tubules, increasing water reabsorbtion in the loop of henle and distal tubules (where osmoregulation takes place)

i know it already got explained but regurgitating that is going to help me remember it :) hth!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)