• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Differences between MATH141/187 (1 Viewer)

sixb0nes

xor sanity, sanity
HSC
Hello. I'm just wondering what the differences are between MATH141 and 187, since I can't decide which one to do. Also for some reason, I don't know why, they say if you got band e3 for extension 1 maths, you can't do 141 and you -have- to do 187.
Whilst I did get band 3 (38/50) for extension 1, I feel I got lucky and I probably belong in 141.

So my questions are:
What's the difference between 141/187?
Is 187 a lot more harder then 141?
What do you think I should do?

Those are my questions.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
187 is harder....i dont know how muhc harder but the way i see it, ur encouraged to do 187 if ur capable of it cause its much more worthwhile, id assume that 141 is basically the equivalent of 3+4unit hsc maths am i right?

Scanorama

HSC
MATH187 is a pre-requisites for every 2nd year maths subject, except for MATH283.

Also for some reason, I don't know why, they say if you got band e3 for extension 1 maths, you can't do 141 and you -have- to do 187.
They can't stop you from doing it either, in MATH121, the pre-requisite is to get at least band 4 in 2U maths, but I only did general maths. They didn't have any problem and I got credit for it.

What degree are you doing?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
MATH141 isn't really easier than 187, they just go slower.

If you are doing a maths degree you should do MATH187. If you struggle in 187 you will definately struggle in 2nd year maths.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
There are a few differences, as mentioned 141 is at a slower pace.

In 141, a review of the fundementals are initially reviewed in the first few weeks (quadratics, trigonometry, basic differentiation/integration, etc). In addition, you are given a 2 page table of standard integrals and you are allowed an A4 double-sided formula sheet of your own creation in exams. Topics like Real Analysis are missed out on later in the 142 course due to the fact that at the beginning 141 includes the fundementals component.

If you are doing a degree requiring any second year maths subjects other than MATH287 (2nd year mathematics for engineers), then you will require atleast a Credit in MATH142 (or a Pass Conceded in MATH188). It all comes down to how you perceive your current mathematical abilities; if there is room for improvement, by all means do MATH141; but however, if you feel competent in your abilities, give yourself more of a challenge with MATH187.

Oh, and goodluck with the Basic Skills Test on the first lecture of week 1 irrespective of which maths subject you choose. ;)

kkitty56

HSC
Basic Skills test - huh? So everyone who has to do a maths course in their first year does it? Theres some fine print for ya lol ;)

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
kkitty56 said:
Basic Skills test - huh? So everyone who has to do a maths course in their first year does it? Theres some fine print for ya lol ;)
Atleast for MATH141/187 there is. I'm not too sure about any other first year maths courses.

That very first one wasn't a pleasant lecture nor a great introduction; it was on a Monday and also my very first class of university. Welcome to Univerisity, now that you're all here, let's all do a test!

sixb0nes

xor sanity, sanity
HSC
Thanks for the replies. I probably should have mentioned this before, but I'm doing Computer Science and majoring in software dev. I'm a little worried I might get kicked out or expelled for doing MATH141. From the description:
Subj Desc. said:
Assumed knowledge: 2 unit HSC Mathematics. Students with Band 3 or higher in NSW HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and any band in NSW HSC Mathematics Extension 2 are excluded from taking MATH141 and must take MATH187.
They seem pretty damn strict over the whole thing. Do they do background checks to catch people who do subjects they aren't meant to. Damn it.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
sixb0nes said:
Thanks for the replies. I probably should have mentioned this before, but I'm doing Computer Science and majoring in software dev. I'm a little worried I might get kicked out or expelled for doing MATH141. From the description:

They seem pretty damn strict over the whole thing. Do they do background checks to catch people who do subjects they aren't meant to. Damn it.
Yeah, they can see what marks you got in the HSC.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
My guess is that the process is likely all computerised as is the system for testing whether a student has met prerequisite subjects for eligibility to enrol in a subsequent subject. You'll likely stay enrolled for the first week then get a computer generated SOLS message informing you that you have been withdrawn from the course and must enrol in MATH187.

...but you certainly wouldn't be expelled for any enrolment mistakes. You need to do something pretty bad for that, like commit plagiarism (you'll get plenty of lectures telling you "plagiarism is the devil!").

sixb0nes

xor sanity, sanity
HSC
Hrm, okay what I'm thinking of doing is taking 187, but just to 'sample' it, and if I find it's not my style I'll just withdraw from it. Is this allowed? Thanks.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Yep, that's completely fine. You have until the 5th of March to make up your mind (last day to add subjects via SOLS without academic approval).

So that means you have 2 weeks to taste test MATH187.

Scanorama

HSC
sixb0nes said:
Hrm, okay what I'm thinking of doing is taking 187, but just to 'sample' it, and if I find it's not my style I'll just withdraw from it. Is this allowed? Thanks.
You can drop it right before the census date (31/3) without paying the HECS for the subject, last date to withdraw without the fail grade is 30/4.

minorproblem

Master of Perky Nipples
HSC
Na if it was a bit before that date he could transfer to 141 and probibly be able to keep up.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
gmraso said:
What about math 161/162? (aren't they just the same as 141 and 142 just in spring and summer session?)
Yeah, they're identical in content.

It's just that you end up with less total contact hours in 162 as opposed to 142 as summer is obviously condensed to 7 weeks. But then again, if you're taking a single subject, it's still half the load of taking 4 subjects over a standard semester.

The benefit of doing 141/142 is that should you fail one, you can fall back on 161/162 without adding an unnecessary year to your studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)