• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Discrete maths & Higher chem 1st year. (1 Viewer)

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to do MATH1081 (discrete), CHEM1031 (higher) and MATH1141 (higher) in 1st year S1?

I've been trying but they are all clashing. I've got it down to a MATH1081 tute clashing with alternating CHEM1031 lectures / tutes. Any information be greatly appreciated!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I did all that, as well as Higher Physics (PHYS1131). Yeah, that was a fun semester. Had a 6-hour block on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (no breaks), a 5-hour block on Thursday (no breaks) and one tute on Friday. Much hecticness. Fun though :p

But if it's clashing for you then that's unfortunate :( I don't know much about more classes popping up if classes get full, etc, you may get additional tute times for 1081 if you're lucky.

karoooh

HSC
Are you picking classes manually or using that Autoclass thing? I had a similar prob yesterday, so I just did most of it manually.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
None of them are full. Just that I end up with a bottle neck on friday 12-1 where Chem1031 has lectures in weeks 1,2,8,9 and tutes in the others but at that time there's a discrete tute on which I can't seem to move anywhere else. Called up science student centre office who told me to talk to the faculties but neither of them are in their offices.

Lady told me to bring it up at advisory day but my friends in older years are trying to get me to do timetable now before any of the tutes fill up =S

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I tried auto-class and it came back with an error. Manually isn't working either.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Sorted it, I think! Whole thing was that I'm not sure of a maths major of a chem major. Leaning towards maths but really want to do some chem to be sure. So I've decided I will do

S1: MATH1141-A, CHEM1031-C, PHYS1121-A, JAPN1000 (you put this down and then do the exam on the 28th of feb where they asses you and, according to the website, place you into an appropriate class and timetable it for you)

So then if I like maths I'll go
S2: MATH1141-B, MATH1081, MATH1000, JAPN1000 (level they put me in) and some GE.

but if I like chem then I'll go
S2: MATH1141-B, CHEM1031-C, JAPN1000 (level they put me in), CHEM1000 and some GE.

Iruka, from your comment about MATH1081 running in S2 I'm assuming that I will be able to do MATH1141-B, MATH1081 and MATH1000 all in S2. Do you think this will timetable? This is all of course dependant on whether jap works in S2 as well.

I think doing either of these will allow me to major in them, have I missed something? Some phys is reqauired of a chem major but I dropped phys at the end of year 11 due to wanting to do 4u instead and timetabling issues. I was top in the class, do you think I'll need to do a bridging course for PHYS1121-A, or should I just go through a physics textbook and the syllabus and check stuff off? I'm not meaning to be boastful, I know it wouldn't be 100% great but would it be enough?

Thanks heaps for the help everyone!

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
HSC Physics ain't gonna help you with what you're in for at uni. 4u maths is more helpful. You'll be fine :)

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Well, if for some reason MATH1081 dosn't run properly with Higher maths B then in S2 then I will be chucking a big fit. Jap I would idealy like to get in first year but isn't a planned major and is just something I'd like on the side for first year. Thanks heaps of your help!

Also, I've, finally, enrolled but the timetable it gives me has red clashes two maths lectures and a chem lecture...but they aren't clashing with anything. If I go to mystudentprofile under my unsw it lists all the courses that I've enrolled in. Do I need to worry about it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)