• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Discrimination against non-school leavers dent (1 Viewer)

Daveky

HSC
Whats with the non-school leaver discrimination in JCU and CSU dental programs.

I mean if you've got some experience in the real world and can look after yourself, or have evidence of academic ability from other university studies.

Shouldn't criteria be based on merit, in an interview or application the the best person for the job should get the job.

After all, the only difference between a non-school leaver and recent is a year, so why should it matter so much?

Also high performance at uni is a better indicator of performance in other university classes as the structure of teaching and workload is more similar whereas high school is more like some unnecessary discipline camp where they teach you a drawn out version over two years what you could learn the essence of in 8 to 12 weeks in a bridging course.

They might as just condense the last two years of high school into a 1 year uni course to save time learning useless stuff you'll forget anyway.

This gives people another year to decide what they really want to do instead of jumping into some degree or career they couldn't possibly know the day to day reality of and deciding they want to do dentistry, only to find out they should have done it when they left school, if only the school existed when they were leaving (in the case of JCU and CSU).

Actually, i don't know but does csu prefer school leavers, I know jcu does (or did last year) but cant remember if i read csu did too.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i dont know. but at monash, we have seperate streams for grad and undergrad students. they have a strict policy for not taking non-school leavers in the undergrad program. they said something about young minds being fresh and can be molded much more easily than those who have "life experience". also with undergrad courses, everyone is on a level playing field so that the assessments better assess ability rather then experience (two different concepts). e.g. they dont want some whos in their 30s competing with 18 yr olds and murder the assignments simply because they have more experience. they want you to apply what you learn in the course, not what you learn in everyday life or from another uni course.

Daveky

HSC
they said something about young minds being fresh and can be molded much more easily than those who have "life experience".
Lol, sounds like a mind control camp.

I can see some of the reason behind it but when i left school i benefited from mature age students, they aren't necessarily better at uni than school leaver in some cases but they ask alot of interesting questions.

In general I've found a mix is good cause the older people may lack some skills, the younger people may lack experience and they complement each other when together.

Thanks for the info, I wonder how many uni's do this school leaver stream thing.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Uadel has a simillar policy for undergrad medical schools they only take school leavers or students who have only done 1 year at U.adel.

I reckon it's just another culling method, so they get the creme of the crop i.e. those who ace the ATAR and UMAT first time round.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
there are advantages and disadvantages. each uni picks which model suits their course best i guess. it is kinda like mind control camp, only we arent on camp haha. but its good, they want u to practice and believe what you learn esp in a field dealing directly with ppl's health. they dont want any creative genius or trying other techniques like other degrees where that kinda thing is recommended.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
As far as I know, CSU does accept a certain number of non recent school leavers into BDent. This year out of 20 accepted, I think three had transferred from another degree?

As for those who take a gap year, I think if your marks in the HSC the year before were up to scratch and you apply, you're not going to be discriminated against in favour of recent leavers.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
As far as I know, CSU does accept a certain number of non recent school leavers into BDent. This year out of 20 accepted, I think three had transferred from another degree?

As for those who take a gap year, I think if your marks in the HSC the year before were up to scratch and you apply, you're not going to be discriminated against in favour of recent leavers.
gap year students are still counted as school leavers. unless they specifically state straight out of yr 12. e.g. we have many ppl who took gap years.

Daveky

HSC
I suppose it would be good because everyone is similar generation wise, it'lld be like going to a new year of high school without smarter classmates and no teachers.

I always imagined uni would be like some 80's movie with study interspersed with wild keg parties, although I've only seen a keg once at a 21st birthday on a boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)