• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does the rank of your school affect scaling? (1 Viewer)

9megqyzn

HSC
Hey everyone, does anyone know for a fact that the rank of your school has something to do with hsc scaling? (If so, does it affect your uai by a noticeable amount?)

Thanks, 9megqyzn

michael1990

HSC
It doesn't.

People use the rank of your school to estimate your UAI.

When the UAI is calculated it has nothing to do with the school you attend.

The schools rank comes from the previous years results compared to other schools.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The rank that your school will have in the year that you do the HSC will be the rank achieved by you and your classmates. Last year's rank was the one achieved by last year's HSC class and will not affect the results of the students this year.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
9megqyzn said:
Hey everyone, does anyone know for a fact that the rank of your school has something to do with hsc scaling? (If so, does it affect your uai by a noticeable amount?)

Thanks, 9megqyzn
No such thing exists.

patty4848

HSC
The only influence your school will have is through the pool of marks. As been said, it doesn't affect you're UAI, but if you go to a selective school for instance, the pool of marks for each subject (before it is divided amongst the ranks) will generally be quite high.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
No, not in the way where the board of studies goes... Bob goes to Randonville high therefore cannot get a UAI of such and such. Sam goes to Sydney Boys high so he must be a good student therefore he deserves better scaling etc

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe that the markers/board of studies dont take into account what school you go to at all. Its got alot more to do with your year group and the difference between marks and rankings within your school.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
agirlinatutu said:
No, not in the way where the board of studies goes... Bob goes to Randonville high therefore cannot get a UAI of such and such. Sam goes to Sydney Boys high so he must be a good student therefore he deserves better scaling etc

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe that the markers/board of studies dont take into account what school you go to at all. Its got alot more to do with your year group and the difference between marks and rankings within your school.
yeh. that sounds about right.

patty4848

HSC
agirlinatutu said:

I wasn't sure if that was in reply to what i said, but that's what i was trying to say

Aplus

HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
The markers don't know your name or school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a marker I can assure you that we definitely don't know your name as all we get is your student number.

Sometimes a teacher may know a school due to the fact that they know the centre number for a particular school but that doesn't happen all that often.

Aznmichael92

HSC
i think the reason why markers will not know student's detail has to do with privacy and security reasons. Also possibly to prevent rigging. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)