• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Don't know whether to stay and finish year 11/12? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm currently in year 11. I do gen maths, advanced english, sor2, legal studies, modern and senior science (I used to do cafs but it was the only subject I could move to, i was planning on dropping it in year 12 and doing 10 units). I wouldn't say I'm doing badly; it's only week 6 and I haven't really done any assessments yet except for a maths topic test - which I got 15/25 (I had trouble understanding this topic), usually I would of done better though. I feel like I'm doing average or maybe above-average but lately I feel like I'm taking steps backwards? Today I took a massive step backwards. I ended up sleeping in and missing school (I was supposed to be doing an in-class religion assessment), I stayed up last night studying for it. Me and my mum went and got a doctors certificate so theoretically I can still do the assessment tomorrow and get marks for it, I just feel disappointed that I would do this, it's how I used to behave last year, when I didn't really care about school and used to always stay home or wag with friends who were leaving that year. I just feel like I don't have a 'senior mind frame' at all. I have been studying and always completing homework and stuff it's just little stuff like this incident and absent days and late days.

I do enjoy school but lately I can't help but think why am I going through all of this when it's not even all that necessary. I've wanted to do nursing for a long time and I know that I could just do it at tafe and become an enrolled nurse and then transfer to uni to become a registered nurse so I can then complete a postgraduate course in the sector I hope to excel in.

I'm just kind of having second thoughts though? The whole school environment is kind of nice to me. The routine of school, the teachers who are always very helpful if you don't understand something. Most of my classmates are also very helpful and I always feel better knowing that all these people beside me are all doing the journey along with me. I just don't want to start tafe and realise I regret leaving.

The other issue is that I live in Sydney but plan to do Uni in Melbourne, would this still be okay with the whole transferring thing?
Sorry for such a long post, I know none of you can make this choice for me, I just feel like you may have some helpful advice for me.
Thank you!!!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would strongly recommend you to stay in school, and moreover to actively ask teachers questions the second you don't understand something, as long as you change your attitude from 'I don't care about school' to 'I do care about school', and 'I am willing to do whatever is needed to maximise my academic potential in all the subjects I am currently doing'-and maintain this attitude-you will achieve your best results. For more tips on acing your senior studies, feel free to read through a senior study guide I have started:(it includes general study tips as well as subject specific study tips:)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

Hope this helps and may you ace your studies by putting in your best effort and having no regrets simply because you have put in your best effort. Best wishes for these two years:)

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Please finish compulsory schooling. You're almost at the finish line! Don't give up and keep persevering! Plus, you're just in year 11. You still have plenty of time to work your way up.

Btw, please do not consider the transfer and tafe route. It's not an easy path. You're better off doing your best in school and get into the course you want to.

Plus, if you read the news now, the government is cutting their funding for tafes, so you'll never know if they might cut the nursing course as well. Making you ending up with nothing in the end-no tafe course and not finishing school.

Another thing is, since you say that your school is supportive, you might as well seek help from your teachers and school counsellors. They can help you if you're in need to adjust to year 11 and 12 etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enoilgam

HSC
You should definitely not drop out. Even though there is a pathway into your desired course, you may ultimately change your mind down the track and not having a HSC will hurt you a fair bit. A HSC is a requisite for most uni courses and the majority of jobs these days mandate that an employee have a HSC as a minimum educational requirement.

Realistically, if you dont have high goals, High School can be a blast, so just enjoy the time you have left. One of my students has no plans to attend university, but he is still going to put in a decent effort in order to ensure that if things change, he has some options. He really enjoys High School though because he doesnt have the pressure of needed to do extremely well.

Kymren

HSC
I agree, you need the HSC.
Don't worry to much about year 11, its the year for you to figure things out. I was feeling the same in year 11, it's normal, but try and stick it out you'll regret it later if you don't.
The first term of year 11 is the hardest, especially if you weren't a very dedicated student in the junior school. I'd like to say it gets easier, but I'm afraid it doesn't, you just get used to it.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to agree with everyone.

OP: when you get beaten down, you don't give up, you try harder! Plus, you may live to regret that decision in the future.

iirc, you need a nursing degree to be a nurse ... So yeah. You do need year 12.

HSC
Thank you everyone for replying. At this point, I really don't have a choice but to stay and at least finish year 11 because the course I have to do to transfer into the nursing course already started and it says 'standby', meaning the class is full. If I start the course next year, it would be pointless. I may as well just stay and stick it out considering it would be a quicker way in to uni.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Just stay in school. It's normal to question the validity of school. Not everybody does it, but you're just at a point of low motivation. Don't let a temporary feeling dictate a permanent decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)