• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dropping to 10 units (1 Viewer)

kimmiee--x3

HSC
Hi everyone :) I'm just wondering if i should drop textiles and design. I'm currently doing 2U Eng, 2U maths, legal, biology, PDH, and textiles. Earlier in the year, i dropped 3U maths because the h/w was overload and now i want to drop textiles because i don't like it. However, I heard people said that it's risky if i drop since i will have to perform well in my 10U. Do you guys think i should drop and will my ATAR drop if i don't do well in one of the 10U nxt yr? So far, i'm only doing alright in textiles. I'm averaging in the 80s.We can drop in T4 but not change subjects at all. Thanks

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Don't bother if this year is your HSC year, you have only a few months until you do it

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Lol, nothing wrong with 10u if you're confident in your subs

Existential

HSC
N/A
the place the thread is in would imply this is prelim student, so the first opportunity to drop down to 10 units is in term 4 when you start year 12 and the HSC course.

personally in my opinion 10 units and 12 units are both as flawed as eachother, so if are genuinely confident in 10 units then its okay and can be more worth it to drop down from 12 units.

kimmiee--x3

HSC
Lol, nothing wrong with 10u if you're confident in your subs
Tbh, i'm not really confident right now :(
I regret choosing my subjects and i think i'm not doing that well. I did quite good in all my subjects in T1 but my marks dropped in T2 :/

Aysce

HSC
I think that you should keep textiles, I mean it's really risky depending on only 10 units and that even screwing up in one subject can damage your ATAR aim and marks in the HSC.

Alkanes

HSC
Yep drop it if you have to. I'm going to drop to 10 units for my HSC, it might be the best decision or worst regret.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am more a conservative person. I tend to stick with the safer option. Risks are one of the main fallacies of a human.

Alkanes

HSC
But people take risks in their lives in order to move further.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Tbh, i'm not really confident right now :(
I regret choosing my subjects and i think i'm not doing that well. I did quite good in all my subjects in T1 but my marks dropped in T2 :/
Oh well a little late now. It's natural to have regrets to some extent (especially if your a perfectionist). Also, your marks in T2 don't reflect well in the long term. Everyone has their bad spells.

See how you're going after T1 year 12. You might've changed your mind. :)

Aysce

HSC
Why take risks in this case, when you could walk on the safer side?

Aysce

HSC
Hmm no, not milk. Milk is revolting.

jnney

lemon
HSC
God I love milk. Anyway. Don't make up your mind so quickly, you still have until term 4 to muck around with your thoughts.

Some people do well with 12 units, others end up screwing up. The same story goes with those who do 10 units. It really depends on the individual, and different things work for us.

Yes, I am I wimp and I think I will be taking 12 units instead of 10. But i really, really enjoy all of my subjects so that isn't a problem for me.

Therefore, ...

If you are really confident with your subjects that make 10 units, then go for it. Yep that is a risk. But you know what else is a risk? Doing 12 units and not really loving the combination. Isn't that otherwise saying that you're only going to really focus on 10 anyway? Wouldn't that one subject that you hate affect your attitude towards your other studies?

I suggest that if you want to do 12, find a loving for textiles. It is definitely possible that you can do well in that subject, never say never. ;)

Good luck on your studies.

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
Agreed. Taking 10 units is a risk but doing 12 units is also a risk. There's always risks in what you do. But in all honesty, if you think you can cope then go for it. I was in the exact same position at the beginning of the year, i was like yea totally i'm gonna do 12 units for my HSC, but after all this shit that has happened with me and physics and through much contemplation i have decided that i will drop physics in term 4 and do 10 units. :D

Aysce

HSC
Well you'll see after your prelim exams. But I would say taking 10 units is much riskier, being that it is a MUST to not stuff up and score high in each of your subjects. On the contrary for 12 units, you could use another subject as a backup if you did poorly or not as well in another subject. But all in all it's totally up to you :)

Alkanes

HSC
Yes but you have to think ahead. If u do 10 units you would have more time to work on your subjects individually but if you're doing 12 units you would have much more workload and adds in extra stress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)