• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

economics/commerce (1 Viewer)

BFF

HSC
If I want to be an economist is it worth doing combined commerce/ economics degree. As commerce has higher UAI you could say it would be more prestigous.Would your job prospects be better doing commerce combined with economics or even just doing commerce by itself majoring in economics?

If you want to do economics honours can you do that in commerce degree?

ahallam2

HSC
BFF said:
If I want to be an economist is it worth doing combined commerce/ economics degree. As commerce has higher UAI you could say it would be more prestigous.Would your job prospects be better doing commerce combined with economics or even just doing commerce by itself majoring in economics?

You can just choose to major in economics within a commerce degree if you cbf doing other commerce subjects. You can then do honours in economics.

Maybe theres slightly more prestige with a double degree - but meh. I wouldnt do things based on prestige. If you want to major in accounting, finance AND economics, then the double degree would be for you.

The various uni course guides on the web have all the info youll need. :)

Conspirocy

HSC
BFF said:

I'm guessing you are looking at the UNSW B Com/ B Ec

now I would say if you want to work as an economist you need to to honours. So a B Com would take 4 years with honours. A B Com/ B Ec would take 5 years

I would say that you do Economics and Finance in a B Com there are lots of areas that economists cant go into due to a lack of knowledge in finance. but if they have done finance they then get preference.

Additionally, if you want to look great do Economics, Econometrics and Finance. Which you can do in a BCom/BEc

DO NOT WASTE YOU TIME WITH ACCOUNTING. Speaking from experiance here, go for broke I say, don't hedge your bets.

hope that makes sense. But essentially working as an economist is all about doing honours in economics or econometrics. the rest doesnt really matter

havy

HSC
Conspirocy said:
DO NOT WASTE YOU TIME WITH ACCOUNTING. Speaking from experiance here, go for broke I say, don't hedge your bets.
I suppose accounting can be a little boring but it can't be that bad...wat sorta bad experiences hav u had with accounting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)