• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General Othello Thesis Vibe. Anyone want to tell me what they think? (1 Viewer)

ciaobella17

HSC
Hi guys,
I've got an assessment coming up on our critical study (Othello) and I've come up with a bit of a thesis on my understanding of the play. Be appreciated if anyone wants to have a look and tell me what they think?

Here it is:

'Othello is in essence a tragic hero, whose downfall lies within a conscious (or subconscious) desire to belong. Othello is a symbol of isolation; he is an outsider and his acceptance within Venetian society is partial. Othello’s marriage to Desdemona is simply a ploy to gain true acceptance into a society that outcast’s him. Desdemona, like Othello himself is a symbol, however an antithesis to his. Desdemona is a symbol of acceptance-a true, honest, fair young lady, who in marriage promises to gain Othello a respected place within Venetian civilization. In destroying Desdemona, Othello destroys any hope of belonging and therefore, ultimately destroys himself.'

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What is your topic/module you are studying?

Also, his desire for acceptance and belonging isn't really a strong point in my opinion. I personally would find it hard to support that over the course of an essay without encountering arguments against it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)