• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

getting a jobb !! (2 Viewers)

buttercupjuice

HSC
heyy guys !

i DESPERATELY want a job right now, but i dont know how and where to start, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice . it would be appreciated :)

im in year 10 , and i have never been employed before , what are some likely places that will take me in for my first job besides maccas and boost ?

do you think that if places like cotton on have posted up ads for casual positions, they would employ a noob like me??

Iv seen a pharmacist ad as well ? and they say experience preferred.. would I be too young to work in a pharmacy especially when I don’t have previous experience.

And also, seeing as im a school student with extra-curricular activities and other commitments going on, how many hours do people my age normally work per week ?

hahah yeahh so hopefully, you guys can help me out ! THANKS =]

breakout-09

Awesomeness
HSC
Well, my first real job (paper run doesnt count for much :p) was at the pharmacy I'm at now, and I got that job in year 10. The work is alright, it all depends on what your boss is like.. so don't be afraid to apply for pharmacies. :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
apply for everything and anything ur interested in.

i just got my first job at woolies a bit after the start of the christmas break.

don't be afraid to apply at any place. lol. Applying at public holidays/seasons is a giver, although.. many other ppl will be doin that as well.

Christmas break = best time to apply.

CieL

HSC
breakout-09 said:
Well, my first real job (paper run doesnt count for much :p) was at the pharmacy I'm at now, and I got that job in year 10. The work is alright, it all depends on what your boss is like.. so don't be afraid to apply for pharmacies. :)
I got rejected.. But maybe it's partially my fault for giving my resume to the dude when he was half running out of the store... he probably lost it halfway to where he was supposed to be going...

My first job was at a food court.... got hired on the spot because I'm asian and could speak their language lol

Second job was on king street wharf as a waitress.... got hired cos I'm asian too... was lucky cos I've never had experience in this field

Third job was as a waitress at a Cafe.... got hired because I've been a waitress at a classy restaurant

Fourth job as a checkout chick cos I get paid better for just standing there and hardly doing anything...

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
30 copies of your resume + Shopping Centre.
Don't leave til they are gone.

Go.

P

pLuvia

First job was at Oportos got accused of stealing (which I didn't) technically I haven't been fired yet but yeh
Second job at Maccas, quit after a year and a half had other commitments
Third job at Newsagent, on the verge of quitting and finding another job

mr_brightside said:
30 copies of your resume + Shopping Centre.
Don't leave til they are gone.

Go.
What I did, except change 30 to 5 :D, rejected in all the ones I applied for will try again soon :)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Yea, I did the resume+shopping centre thing too. LOL

I got my first one at yr9,,despite what people say about Maccas, it isnt that bad anymore (the pay used to be $5 back in my days) and in every interviews I had afterwards, they always appreciate the fact that I survived Maccas.

then - woolies, florist (it was the best), myer, tutor, now in process of finding a job

CieL

HSC
mitsui said:
Yea, I did the resume+shopping centre thing too. LOL

I got my first one at yr9,,despite what people say about Maccas, it isnt that bad anymore (the pay used to be $5 back in my days) and in every interviews I had afterwards, they always appreciate the fact that I survived Maccas.

then - woolies, florist (it was the best), myer, tutor, now in process of finding a job
Hahahah I did the resume + shopping centre too!! Until I realised I had more choices if I went online...

The dodgiest online experience was apply for Ford as a receptionist.. sent him my resume, he replied saying he wanted an interview with me, then when I asked him if a certain date n time was okay, he never replied! Even tho I sent him a further 2 emails.. fucking turd, I HOPE he was actually a member of Ford and not some random who just scabbed my details..

Teheh.. my friend worked at pizza hut [minimal age] and got paid like $4.25/hr... I seriously didnt understand the desire to work then... Work your ass off for next to nothing... But I guess it is better than nothing...

Why did you quit the florist if it was the best? I probably would apply..... if I wasn't allergic to pollen o_O"... tutors get paid a crapload imo... if you get your hours...

buttercupjuice

HSC
wow ! thankx for all the advice guys .. ! i would love to work at a pharmacy , but im not picky for my first job so yeah .. :D

hahah ! yeah i went to the shopping centre a couple of days ago , and handed in my resume to a few stores .. so hopefully i get some feedback from them ! *fingers crossed*

so how many hours did you guys work a week when you guys were in high school ?? just to get an idea :confused:

P

pLuvia

When I worked at Maccas in year 10/11, worked about 15 hours a week

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
pLuvia said:
When I worked at Maccas in year 10/11, worked about 15 hours a week
Yeah thats how long I worked a week when I was at McCafe for yr11/12.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
CieL said:
Hahahah I did the resume + shopping centre too!! Until I realised I had more choices if I went online...

The dodgiest online experience was apply for Ford as a receptionist.. sent him my resume, he replied saying he wanted an interview with me, then when I asked him if a certain date n time was okay, he never replied! Even tho I sent him a further 2 emails.. fucking turd, I HOPE he was actually a member of Ford and not some random who just scabbed my details..

Teheh.. my friend worked at pizza hut [minimal age] and got paid like $4.25/hr... I seriously didnt understand the desire to work then... Work your ass off for next to nothing... But I guess it is better than nothing...

Why did you quit the florist if it was the best? I probably would apply..... if I wasn't allergic to pollen o_O"... tutors get paid a crapload imo... if you get your hours...
Yea,, I quitted cause I found out I am allergic to pollen... TT"
I was gonna be a vet,,,but then realised I am allergic to fur... imao.

I was a workaholic, worked like 30hours a week with school..and 40 in holidays.
cbb anymore. xD

P

pLuvia

mitsui said:
Yea,, I quitted cause I found out I am allergic to pollen... TT"
I was gonna be a vet,,,but then realised I am allergic to fur... imao.

I was a workaholic, worked like 30hours a week with school..and 40 in holidays.
cbb anymore. xD
Even so, you owned the HSC :D

HSC
N/A
buttercupjuice said:
heyy guys !

i DESPERATELY want a job right now, but i dont know how and where to start, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice . it would be appreciated :)

im in year 10 , and i have never been employed before , what are some likely places that will take me in for my first job besides maccas and boost ?

do you think that if places like cotton on have posted up ads for casual positions, they would employ a noob like me??

Iv seen a pharmacist ad as well ? and they say experience preferred.. would I be too young to work in a pharmacy especially when I don’t have previous experience.

And also, seeing as im a school student with extra-curricular activities and other commitments going on, how many hours do people my age normally work per week ?

hahah yeahh so hopefully, you guys can help me out ! THANKS =]
As you dont have any experience it would rule out the Pharmacist job as they would likely require not only experience, but relevant experience. Also your attitude is more important than your age in most jobs, as they can pay you less for being younger your maturity will play a part in this.

CieL

HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
As you dont have any experience it would rule out the Pharmacist job as they would likely require not only experience, but relevant experience.
Hmmm... if you bothered to read, it's not impossible...

breakout-09 said:
I doubt she was talking about the handling prescriptions n stuff.. just at the checkouts/service areas.. I've seen a pharmacy in Eastwood always putting up a sign, wanting juniors..

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I know 3ppl who all had there first job at a Pharmacy. They were all girls aswell, hmmmm seems to be a treand

breakout-09

Awesomeness
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
I know 3ppl who all had there first job at a Pharmacy. They were all girls aswell, hmmmm seems to be a treand
Well, there's only 3 guys working at my pharmacy - me, a uni student who's doing a degree for pharmacy anyway, and my boss.

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
Hmmm... if you bothered to read, it's not impossible...
I think you may have missed the point, while it is quite possible to get a first job in pharmacy, if a job says that it requires experience then other candidates (if there are any) that possess experience (especially relevant experience) will most likely get the job.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
I think you may have missed the point, while it is quite possible to get a first job in pharmacy, if a job says that it requires experience then other candidates (if there are any) that possess experience (especially relevant experience) will most likely get the job.
You just changed your structure.

At first, you implied that she had no hope of getting the job at all.... and told her to "rule out the Pharmacist job", however, I am just telling her that it is not impossible and that she should try anyway.

Simple as that.

I dont care about experience or not, at least a few people in this thread have already said they had no previous work experience, and/or no pharmaceutical knowledge, yet they have gained a position in that particular industry. Sure, slim chance... but MY point is, apply regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)