• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Gondwanan Plants and their Preservation (1 Viewer)

FDownes

HSC
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here could give me a little advice to help me out with a biology assignment that I'm currently working on. Basically, the assignment's focus is on the development of Australian flora and fauna over our continent's millions of years of isolation, however I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the task's key parts: we need to identify ten different species of plant native to Gondwana, and find and preserve a sample of each type.

Naturally, I've been doing my research, and I've identified some species (the 'proteaceae' family in particular), but I'm a bit uncertain as to whether others, like eucalyptus, should be considered native to Gondwana, considereing they developed relatively (geologically speaking) recently.

Anyways, my question is: what types of plants that were once native to Gondwana are most easily found on the east coast of Australia? And once I've found and identified them, how would I best go about preserving them? (I've heard pressing them in a book is a good way, but I don't think that'd work so well on on a great big banksia flower...). To clear up any possible confusion, I'll put the actual question below.

Design a plan for and conduct a first hand investigation to preserve and describe a total of 10 different plants indigenous to gondwana. Actual specimins are preffered but if flowering or fruiting is seasonal drawings can be submitted. Original photos can only be used if specimins are in a protected habitat or to supplement the collection. Submit the collection. You must NOT collect specimins from a national park. Submit a written experimental report for your study.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and sorry for rambling! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)