• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Handwriting (2 Viewers)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
How bad can your handwriting be ?

Mines pretty bad. I can read it so can my teachers (because I've had them for ~5 years Ina row).

I'm just concerned it will be to messy in the hsc.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
then get into the habit of writing neater. just practise.

HSC
hahahha. carrot sticks. That's how my essays all end up looking like, neat at the begging (define neat), and doctor's apprentice 5 mins in for the bell.

eric sparkles

HSC
my friend in the middle of the exam room literally contracted a cramp in his hand, it caused a tad of a scene mid-english, and caused me to justify my already slow handwriting.

Examine

same
HSC
I can only write 1100 in 45 minutes max or my writing is illegible.

Aysce

HSC
I think I can write around 1.3-1.5k but my writing is just totally messy, bunched up together and shit. I copped it though, 17/20 for an essay and lost 1 mark for handwriting. Not much but cmon, for handwriting?

Examine

same
HSC
I think I can write around 1.3-1.5k but my writing is just totally messy, bunched up together and shit. I copped it though, 17/20 for an essay and lost 1 mark for handwriting. Not much but cmon, for handwriting?
Much harsher than my school. I think I told you about the scenario which happened earlier in my Marketing exam.

Aysce

HSC
Much harsher than my school. I think I told you about the scenario which happened earlier in my Marketing exam.
I don't recall you telling me anything. ELABORATE!!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is kind of an unsaid thing amongst teachers, but the marking process is unconsciously affected by then handwriting.

I have marked many many papers before, with varying hand-writing styles ranging from absolutely sublime to the trashiest scribble ever.

When you see a paper with beautiful handwriting, you think two things immediately:

1. The person who wrote this must be a girl.
2. Marking this paper will be easy.

Justification for 1: Generally, females have neater handwriting than males.

Justification for 2: It is so much more easy to mark a nicely written paper than a messy one. Beautiful handwriting vs chicken scratch could be what unconsciously nudges the marker when they're teetering between 17/20 and 18/20.

Aysce

HSC
This is kind of an unsaid thing amongst teachers, but the marking process is unconsciously affected by then handwriting.

I have marked many many papers before, with varying hand-writing styles ranging from absolutely sublime to the trashiest scribble ever.

When you see a paper with beautiful handwriting, you think two things immediately:

1. The person who wrote this must be a girl.
2. Marking this paper will be easy.

Justification for 1: Generally, females have neater handwriting than males.

Justification for 2: It is so much more easy to mark a nicely written paper than a messy one. Beautiful handwriting vs chicken scratch could be what unconsciously nudges the marker when they're teetering between 17/20 and 18/20.
So true. I sit next to this girl in tutor and she has IMMACULATE writing when she does maffs. It is printed and God-like. Totally ENVIOUS

Examine

same
HSC
I don't recall you telling me anything. ELABORATE!!
Remember the guy who got sick leave for the test? 30% of his writing was ineligible. He got to justify what he wrote anyway. :/ Anyway I'm confident about the Operations test we did. (Hoping I can maintain top 3)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I found that my handwriting naturally improved as the HSC drew closer and I've retained that higher quality throughout university.

Many people overlook things like this, but it's absolutely critical that your handwriting is legible or you're simply not going to get the marks.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Out of curiosity, does anybody else write their lower case Z like I do?

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of curiosity, does anybody else write their lower case Z like I do?

used to back when I was in kindy :p now I dont.

I haven't really written much since the HSC, In uni it's been just for exams, during HSC it was pretty messy, but they say as long as they can read it it's fine... and I'm sure the markers are used to reading variations in handwriting.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I find it to be advantageous especially for Maths because when I rush, my 2 looks like a Z if I write it the normal way.

Aysce

HSC
Sometimes I write my 3's VERY VERY poorly and they end up becoming 7. I know how you feel Carrot. :'(

delian

HSC
N/A
Yes it can be quite annoying.
btw 1300-1500 is a lot, so you're doing well.

Aysce

HSC
Haha but 1.3-1.5k for me is max speed I think. My muscles and veins pump up so much in my hand during exams (Y) :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)