• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help me think of the word (Hamlet) (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
its a stupid request

fill in the blank
im really kinda stuck for a good word

the faade of _____ in the rotten state of Denmark (I.5) reveal a discrepancy between appearance and reality

right now i have "peace" which sucks ass and doesnt make sense

is a roflcopter
HSC
ok......hmm.........shit hehe :D

what do the examiners say we should talk about then?

dandaman

haha how else are we suppose to talk about the text then?? i use the themes to look at the context and values... its essential to do that otherwise your essay will just sound gay

TastesGoodBut

no becuase if u talk about themese u are suggesting that there is only one way to read a book and things... in the modern context some of those themes may not even be relevant. talk about the values towards death and things but dont talk about death as a theme... appearance V reality shouldnt come into your essay at all... talk about waht the adience would value about the play etc...

like in elizabethan the age of faith and age of reason had different values associated with each, in the 1960s the audience valued authority but was void of it etc

but if your thematic u cood get lucky but its just waht they ahve said in the past...

as for sounding gay - theres nothing wrong with that - havent you watched queer eye for the straight guy?

I hate it when people throw around the words 'gay', 'homo', 'fag' and 'poofta'. It suggests that theres something wrong with homosexuality, as its often said in a negative manner. Blech. Personal gripes. (BTW I'm not gay, I just find that there is no need to put others down without good reason!)

On to the point:
Maybe I'm doing it all wrong? Shit! I basically use the common themes between Hamlet and R+G to highlight the different values placed upon those themes by each text. Then relate it all back to context etc.

dandaman

firstly yeh i think there is something wrong wif gay men, but neway thats off the topic.

same as dina, i reckon the only logical way to structure is to compare the values and context through the similar themes.

each to their own...

TastesGoodBut

yeh it seems logical that way but basically all that says i that youve gone to a shop and bought the study guide...

i mean chances are you will still beat me in this module but they keep going on about how they dont want thematic responses yet continue t o feed them high marks - shits me a bit

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
just do what youre comfortable with and what youve been doing all year. its too late to start changing and relearning everything.

is a roflcopter
HSC
what if ........you havent done anything all year nor was there any effort on the teachers part to teach it? :D

is a roflcopter
HSC
anyway
i have 1 paragraph left
its either appeareance vs reality OR transformation in purpose and functionality of the language

which one should i do?

cakes

hi
HSC
i think purpose of language is important (then again i don't exactly know what you're saying about appearance vs reality)
language played a much greater role in shakespeare's time than in stoppard's... and stoppard also explores the limitations of language. there's lots to talk about

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i'm using appearance vs reality as a theme - wasn't the gripe with the theme-based marking was that students weren't addressing the outcomes - concentrating on the transformation itself??
i think it's fine as long as u can relate it to the context - why artificial facades in hamlet reveal the audience's dependency on inherent order and truth, and how stoppard manipulates that to challenge a more cynical audience, who aren't as reliant on religious or social monarchy but are trying to look for a crux of meaning or a fundamental truth in their lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)