• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Zali

HSC
Ok so im in england rite now n didnt expect 2 get any medicine offers any where let alone any scholarships but.......

i got my first preferences everywhere and offered a MRBS at monash but didnt apply for it any where else.

i really wanted to go to UNSW an got an unbonded offer but how do i pass up $111000

i was planning on deffering if i did get an offer and didnt think id hav 2 worry about considering weather 2 cut my gap year extremely short and accept the scolarship!

WTF should i do i really want 2 study medicine there isnt any doubt there and i can defer my place but not the scolarship

should i come home n accept the scholarship? i hav no accomodation in melbourne and dont no any1 i only found out about this today cos they called my mum in australia n she didnt tell me til today but i need to make a decision by friday (australian time)

please help me clear my head and make a logical decision
thanks

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm the scholarship isn't everything. To be honest if I were you I'd defer the UNSW place and enjoy my gap year. :)

salubrious

HSC
N/A
First of all, congratulations on your offers and the scholarship.
I was also offered the MRBS at UNSW and have decided to take it as I believe it is a pretty good deal.
It is good amount of money and tax exempt, so the way I figure it is that if you are able to earn say, $6 or 7K, part-time or during summer, your total income is around $30K. Since you will not be taxed on the scholarship money or the $7K you earned working part-time, it's basically the same as someone earning $45K, who gets taxed on Australia's high taxing system.
As far as your GAP year goes, wouldn't you be better off taking the scholarship, saving a little of your scholarship, and taking a year off say, after 1st year, or second year, and having a real holiday that you've financed yourself?
Alternatively, you could plan to go overseas during your independent research project, and stay for a little longer.
If your parents were very wealthy and extremely benevolent toward you, then I would say stay in the U.K for a while longer. But the scholarship is a pretty good deal and I say take it.
Also, I've lived in Melbourne and spent some time in Sydney. Clayton, where Monash is located, is not the most aesthetically beautiful city in the world, and personally I'd rather live a little closer to the beach.

salubrious

HSC
N/A
woops, i misread. You got the scholarship at Monash, not UNSW.
Well, the money is a very good incentive to go to Monash.
Having family and friends close by (as well as a beach location) would make going to UNSW good too. Are you eligible for other scholarships, like RAMUS (based on income)? I suppose you wouldn't even find out until after you turned down Monash.
Since you really wanted to go to UNSW, I want to say go there. Having the scholarship, though, would give you a lot of extra cash to fly home on long weekends, etc.
Write a list of pro's and con's and talk it over with your family.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)