• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Homework (1 Viewer)

sweetcherrychic

HSC
help with pdhpe homework

I have alot of questions that need to be answered can someone plz help me.
2.What are the characteristics of a healthy and well balanced diet for an athlete as oppesed to a non athlete?
3.how can diet affect performance?
what do you think should be the main elements of an athletes diet before activity during and after
what types of athletes would consider carbohydrate loading in their nutritional plan?
how might carbohydrate loading differ between endurance and sprint or power athletes
what can an athlete do to prevent excessive loss of heat
what are the efects on performance when athletes are too hott or too cold?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I haven't done PD/H/PE, but I'll have a go off the top of my head. It might not be in line with the syllabus, so it'd be a good idea to check my answers :p

What are the characteristics of a healthy and well balanced diet for an athlete as oppesed to a non athlete?

- Pre workout meal to help fuel their training, consisting of complex carbs and protein.
- Absorption of simple carbs (preferably liquid) and protein immediately after Post Workout to help the body recover.
- Greater calories consumed due to greater energy expenditure and the body's need to recover from training.

how can diet affect performance?

- The simple saying you are what you eat rings true. Micro and macro nutrient and meal timing play a large part of performance as well.

what do you think should be the main elements of an athletes diet before activity during and after

- Meal consisting of complex carbs and protein before, something like rice and chicken. Immediately after workout, simple sugars and protein in liquid form should be consumed, such as Gatorade and a scoop of whey protein powder.

what types of athletes would consider carbohydrate loading in their nutritional plan?

- Mainly athletes that are will be participating in moderate to long distance events, or sports which primarily use their aeorobic capacity.

how might carbohydrate loading differ between endurance and sprint or power athletes

- sprint/power atheletes will need energy stores available for IMMEDIATE used since they are going to be using maximum output over a short period of time. Their anerobic systems will be primarily used opposed to endurance athletes who will need energy stores for immediate use and well into their event since they use primarily their aerobic system.

- Warm up properly??? No idea.

I'm guessing here...

- Less than optimal performance
- Increased chance of injury
- Discomfort
- Disruption of breathing rythym

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Here is some info I hate on a few questions you asked.

*what types of athletes would consider carbohydrate loading in their nutritional plan?

- The carbohydrates (CHOs) you eat are converted into glucose, which is stored in the muscles and liver, ready to produce energy. Endurance athletes, such as marathon runners and tri-athletes, whose events take longer than 2 hrs, can increase their glucose stores by 'pigging out' (CHO loading) on CHOs for 3 days before their competition. It is worth doing only for real endurance events or when several games must be played in 1 day or over several days in a row.

*what can an athlete do to prevent excessive loss of heat.

-In hot conditions, especially during high humidity, an athlete should drink:
a) 2 glasses over water every 20 mins before heavy exercise.
b)1 glass of water every 20 mins during exercise.
c) 2 glasses of water every 20 mins for 2 hours after exercise.

NB: If an athlete doesn’t follow this pattern s/he could run the risk of dehydration which results in fatigue, cramp and possibly collapse.

*Environmental conditions/exposure:

Cold/hypothermia may occur. Usually as a result of prolonged exposure to cold weather in wet clothes. Your body loses heat faster than you can generate heat.
*Uncontrollable shivering
* loss of coordination
* Vagueness or uncooperative behaviour
*slow pulse, shallow breathing
*unconsciousness and possible death.

Heat:
Heat injuries can occur when exposed to hot and humid conditions, particularly when exercising. This leads to excessive sweating and loss of body fluids. As the body fluid level drops the core temp. (internal) rises. This gradual dehydration can lead to heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

(source: VCE Physical Education book 2, 3rd ed.
Davis, et. al. 1999 ...)

Sorry I couldn't answer all of them. Some of the questions on diet I did in year 11 + I only have my year 12 notes/textbook.

littleman

HSC
what happened to ur textbook???

sweetcherrychic said:
what do you think should be the main elements of an athletes diet before activity during and after?
short answer: carbs to give glucose for aerobic energy system

sweetcherrychic said:
short answer:eek:ne who will be using the the aerobic system for a while

shnozze

help???

Strength training methods may be varied to suit the demands of the phases of competition. Analyse why a sprint athlete should uses different methods of strength training during these phases?

help plz

cabanaboy21

HSC
i needa write an essay on road accidents... "DISCUSS THE INFLUENCE OF CHANGING LIFESTYLE PATTENS ON THE INCIDENCE. WHAT IS THE COST BURDON ON THE AUSTRALIAN COMMUNITY? WHAT PREVENTATIVE STRATEGIES AND HEALTH PROMOTION INITITIVES COUOLD BE ADDOPTED TO LESSEN THE IMPACT ON THE DISEASE?" anyone got an idea of what to do? plz help

jabbott

HSC
Ok,
1) Athlete and non athetes both need to have a diet that is balanced with intake from the five food groups. For athletes the proportions will differ from the recommended intake for non athletes. They will generally require a diet higher in complex low GI carbohydrates for sustained energy for training and carbs for efficient recovery. Fat intake will generally be low however the non athlete should aim for a diet low in saturated fats. For the athlete fluid intake is very important. Often athletes will require a higher amount of protein to assist in muscle growth and repair but this amount should not be excessive and will vary depending on the particular sport/event and period of training. Some specific vitamins and minerals may be needed in a higher amount for athletes eg. iron especially for females in edurance events and alos menstruating females. For the non athlete a dietary intake that is balanced (meaning recommended portions from the food pyramid) should be sufficent to provide all the required nutrients.

2)- diet too low in energy can result in poor training performance
- inability to concentrate and focus,
- premature fatigue
- too low body fat levels
- reduced immunity etc
similary a diet in excess of some nutrients (referred to as overnutrition) (e.g fats, carbs) can result in
- poor performance by carrying excess weight etc

3)CARB loading invloves exercise of the dominant muscles to exhaustion point while eating a normal diet. Training is then reduced for 3 days and carb intake is limited (depletion phase). The goal of this phase is the deplete or maintain low gylcogen levels. The next three days training is then reduced and carb intake is increased which results in the muscles accumulating or retaining unusual large amounts of gylcogen (nearly tripple) that is used in the competition.

Carbohydrate loading is only recommended and required for athletes in endurance sports e.g. iron man events, open water swimming 25km events, tour road cycling.

Carb loading is not needed for sprint or power events as they don not need to access fuel over a sustained amount of time. They will simply need a pre-comp meal and post comp recovery meal with additional fluid intake to replace that lost.

4) excessive heat loss - the best way to avoid this is by wearing appropriate clothing for the event and the environmental conditions.

5) effects on performance- examples
- too hot can lead to dehyration, fainting, headaches which greatly reduce the ability for the body to perform
- too cold, muscle stiffness, reduced flexibily etc

Hope these helped
Jess

PDHPE 2004 - DA list
UAI 92.75

sweetcherrychic said:
I have alot of questions that need to be answered can someone plz help me.
2.What are the characteristics of a healthy and well balanced diet for an athlete as oppesed to a non athlete?
3.how can diet affect performance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)