• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how can you be unemployed your whole life at 21? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
ok...so I know a few people who have never had a job in their life at the age of 21. like wtf is with this trend...get a fucking job mate

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Are you only angry online? Or are you angry like this in real life? Well, that would explain why your online.

aussie-boy

HSC
Why? If you have a rich parent who pays for everything and owns a business you can inherit, why would you get a job?

lala2

Banned
HSC
What is the average age for most people to get a job? Amongst the people I know, the latest someone has ever gotten a first job was 18.5 years, which is not particularly old, imo. Maybe if they're international students? (particularly if you're Asian as we are not expected to work until we graduate).

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
My first serious job when was I was 19. But I've worked constant 3+ days a week through for like 3 years now.

fliick

HSC
N/A
I have been working since I was 14, and been through 8 jobs now. None of which I got through family/friends.
Majority of people are lazy. If they don't get forced into a corner, they won't have the motivation to work for anything.

And Centrelink, I blame you.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Unemployed at 21?! I don't know anyone over the age of 19 without a job.

klaris

HSC
Some people manage to sponge off Centrelink or friends or family.

Hence, they don't really need or want a job.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Unemployed at 21?! I don't know anyone over the age of 19 without a job.
I'm 19 and unemployed. Simply because this area wants experience. Even Coles wants experience for TROLLEY PUSHERS!!!

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET EXPERIENCE IF NOWHERE IS WILLING TO TAKE NEW WORKERS AND EVERYWHERE WANTS EXPERIENCE?

There is no hope if you decided to focus on study and didn't work earlier. If you're over but close to 18, it is extremely hard to get employed. If you're over 25 you're "too old"...

The workforce is backwards sometimes.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
That's not true. My first job was when I was 18, just got into uni. Helped this company design some VCE (ie the equivalent of HSC in Victoria) software. I had no experience, just came out of high school.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
my first was when i was 18 :D
straight outta school, after a year of bludging through tafe doing retail ..
still working at the same place. i had no experience whatsoever.
only experience i had was hospo exp

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I should point out that I'm speaking about the Northern Rivers and other rural areas.

In Metropolitan areas, if you look hard enough it is inevitable that you'll get a job sooner or later. Different story in a lot of rural areas.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm 19 and unemployed. Simply because this area wants experience. Even Coles wants experience for TROLLEY PUSHERS!!!

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET EXPERIENCE IF NOWHERE IS WILLING TO TAKE NEW WORKERS AND EVERYWHERE WANTS EXPERIENCE?

There is no hope if you decided to focus on study and didn't work earlier. If you're over but close to 18, it is extremely hard to get employed. If you're over 25 you're "too old"...

The workforce is backwards sometimes.
a) You were meant to get experience when your minimum wage was lower back at 16 or so (admittedly I didn't do this and took a gamble).

b) You can always get experience as a Christmas casual or something along those lines... even JB Hifi has pretty relaxed hiring policies from what I've heard (if you're willing to travel). Otherwise there are plenty of other jobs which aren't necessarily in retail which are available such as data entry (a lot of forum regulars can probably touch type fast enough to work in local councils, insurance companies, etc... typing in forms and scanning stuff.)

c) You can always volunteer to get work experience. Even charity work experience is better than nothing.

... that being said, I can think of a lot of students who are 21 and haven't had a job. Some were lucky and got internships but it's a pity that once you miss the boat... it becomes ever harder to get onto one. Studying is an excuse which really only works whilst you're in high school and it may be physically difficult to get around to where the jobs are (when you can't drive, etc) but once you're midway through TAFE or uni, there is no real excuse. Unless you're uber rich or something.

(EDIT: Just wanted to make a remark that I'm not having a go at anyone here... I just happened to click on Reply and posted a bit of relevance... but I realised that my post may come across as offensive/slagging you but it wasn't intentional)

Grissom

HSC
Anyone with a pair of steel capped boots and a safety vest can get work.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
a) You were meant to get experience when your minimum wage was lower back at 16 or so (admittedly I didn't do this and took a gamble).

b) You can always get experience as a Christmas casual or something along those lines... even JB Hifi has pretty relaxed hiring policies from what I've heard (if you're willing to travel). Otherwise there are plenty of other jobs which aren't necessarily in retail which are available such as data entry (a lot of forum regulars can probably touch type fast enough to work in local councils, insurance companies, etc... typing in forms and scanning stuff.)

c) You can always volunteer to get work experience. Even charity work experience is better than nothing.

... that being said, I can think of a lot of students who are 21 and haven't had a job. Some were lucky and got internships but it's a pity that once you miss the boat... it becomes ever harder to get onto one. Studying is an excuse which really only works whilst you're in high school and it may be physically difficult to get around to where the jobs are (when you can't drive, etc) but once you're midway through TAFE or uni, there is no real excuse. Unless you're uber rich or something.

(EDIT: Just wanted to make a remark that I'm not having a go at anyone here... I just happened to click on Reply and posted a bit of relevance... but I realised that my post may come across as offensive/slagging you but it wasn't intentional)
Fair enough.

Taking the chance to maximize marks seems to be discouraged nowadays as you *need* experience to get a job later on.

Through uni, the workload can be extremely large depending on the course, making it hard to fit in the time for a job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)