• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How could you coerce your school to give subjects? (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
My school wont give me a Prelim subject, ie Bio cause the classes are full... am i stuffed or are their ways to get over that?

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
If they won't give you the subject, they wont give you the subject. Pick something else.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
If the class is full they aren't allowed to put any more people in it due to regulations or something. Wait until someone drops out maybe?

Cardea

HSC
supercalamari said:
If the class is full they aren't allowed to put any more people in it due to regulations or something. Wait until someone drops out maybe?
That's what I'm waiting for for Visual Arts.. the deputy even suggested I coerce someone to drop it, lol.

lionking1191

HSC
my modern class was full but i talked to the teacher and he said it was okay to have 25 so..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
my modern class was full but i talked to the teacher and he said it was okay to have 25 so..
With Science subjects there are safety issues that don't arise in subjects like Modern.

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do if the school says the classes are full as there are restrictions in place for the teacher's working conditions about class sizes in most schools. These conditions do include the safety of the students and the ability to access resources.

I would ask the deputy to put you on a waiting list to be notified if, and more likely when, someone drops out so that you can go in.

Lukybear

HSC
well thanks guys,

but if i join the class in the middle of the year, wouldnt that damage my chances in biology? especialy say that some1 drops out in late term2... wouldnt that damage my chances at getting a good UAI

HSC
Lukybear said:
well thanks guys,

but if i join the class in the middle of the year, wouldnt that damage my chances in biology? especialy say that some1 drops out in late term2... wouldnt that damage my chances at getting a good UAI
it's just prelim

you usually earn different topics in the new semester anyway

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Could you do it at TAFE? xXmuffin0manXx is correct, Prelim counts for nothing...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Lukybear said:
well thanks guys,

A lot of people drop in the first 2-3 weeks of prelim. My Economics class started off with about 29, by week 4 there was like 18 people.

HSC
Lukybear said:
well thanks guys,

People will drop out in the first few weeks, I'm sure.
Besides, Prelim work doesn't count for your UAI.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
babikakez said:
People will drop out in the first few weeks, I'm sure.
Besides, Prelim work doesn't count for your UAI.
Prelim work doesn't count but the course has to be completed and the Principal sign off on it before the student can begin the HSC course.

When the OP's school says 'No it is too late to change into a course' is unknown but some schools say end first term while others may allow a student to do an HSC course without ever having attended a preliminary class if they can show that they have achieved some of the outcomes of the course - usually by doing some or all of the assessment tasks. That is up to the school - who afterall should know whether or not the student is capable of doing it.

jet

Banned
HSC
How big is the normal class size?

Because of our lines one of our classes has 7 people and the other has 27. I got stuck in the latter, because i picked music.

With bio, its not so much difficult as much as learning all of the content. Thats actually what makes bio difficult.

It is learnable, but if you want to pick it up in, say, term two, you may have to make peace with the fact that you wont do well in bio prelim.
While prelim doesn't count, the teacher has to sign off saying that you can do it satisfactorily, and it is assumed knowledge for the HSC course, and I can tell you that I have been relying on prelim abit so far.

Its really up to you.

Kittikhun

HSC
If you really want to do it and you don't want to fall behind a choice is to go by distance education which requires you to do your course by mail and telephone correspondence with your teacher. That's the only thing I can think of if your school continues to disallow you to do your desired biology course. With that, if someone drops it in term 2 or something you would have already learned some stuff needed to continue the course without falling behind. Do this, though, only as a last resort and make the decision quickly as enrolments usually aren't accepted after March of next year and there is a lot of administration and enrolment stuff. Trust me. Here's link in case you don't know about distance.

http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)