• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you prevent silly mistakes? (1 Viewer)

andrewriis

HSC
Hi,

I am doing General Maths and I get all the content but what is pulling me down from 95-100% to 90-95% is the fact that I keep making silly mistakes (e.g. forgetting a minus sign, not reading the question right). Are there any tips that anyone has on how to avoid this?

Do people think highlighting the question details in an exam helps? And is it best to check your answers at the end or after you have done each question?

mreditor16

HSC
Do people think highlighting the question details in an exam helps?

Yes, I do that. And it makes sure I answer in exact form, to certain number of sig figs etc. and thus lose no marks in that regard....

And is it best to check your answers at the end or after you have done each question?

I would recommend to do all the questions at a reasonable pace, such that you leave adequate time to check through. and when you do check your answers, prioritise - check the ones where there was a lot of number-crunching first and then the more proof-like questions later on. i.e. check the type of Qs in which you generally make most silly mistakes first. then, if you don't have enough time to check, at least the questions most probable to have silly mistakes will be checked and hopefully fixed if found....

Good Luck! :D

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Silly mistakes clearly a sign of not enough practice.

/close thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)