• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many past papers should you do? (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf1990

HSC
Let's face it for an average 2u subject it takes 3 hours to do 1 paper. So you wouldn't do that many papers when leading up to the trials, for HSC maybe, since the various subjects have or are close to finishing and assesments are done.

So, the question is, how many papers should you do for trials? and which particular years(generally)?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
LoneWolf1990 said:
Let's face it for an average 2u subject it takes 3 hours to do 1 paper. So you wouldn't do that many papers when leading up to the trials, for HSC maybe, since the various subjects have or are close to finishing and assesments are done.

So, the question is, how many papers should you do for trials? and which particular years(generally)?
As many as you can.

For the trials I am going to work my way back from 2005, becase i want to leave 2006 and 2007 till before the actual HSC.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
If you can't do them in a three hour block then maybe it would be worth working at it over a couple of days like an assignment. Then try and get quicker leading up to the trials with doing two or three complete papers in the proper times. Most recent papers are better to see recent trends in the ways they will ask questions.

runnable

HSC
What I do is that I inspect the paper... and target questions im uncertain with. If there are none or very little, I just do Q7,8,9,10 of 2U and Q5,6,7 of 3U. I find this quicker and going through more things I didnt know before.

Although some questions might look easy but are actually tough... but I dun think they will come up too often in the early parts of the paper so its alright.

-Anfernee-

HSC
I think you should stick to the most recent ones and do as many as you possibly can in your chosen time frame.

beentherdunthat

HSC
tommykins said:
At least 5.
you need to do way more then that

by the time i got to the hsc i had done evry single past paper which is like 30 ( i done it in a week ) <- dont try this it'll take you way longer

you need to do a lot of trial papers, heinmenn papers which r really good, neap etc.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i have about 60 3 unit and 4 unit papers printed just waiting for me to do. All the trials from about 10 schools for the last 3....and when i'm done with them, i still have the actual past hsc exams to go...

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Nasonex said:
0 --> memorise syllabus dot points
you can't do that for maths/english.
gahh your all saying very big numbers, my maths teacher recommend that you pull the exams apart, i.e. do all the intergration qs together etc.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
that's wrong.
get a textbook if you want to do that.

the purpose of exam papers is that; to test your ability to work under pressure.

shaon0

HSC
LoneWolf1990 said:

I would say 150+ papers need to be done for all subjects before the HSC is what i've heard.

HSC
this sort of reminds me of when im like, pwning noobs and stuff.

I try and pwn at least 3-5 on CnC:KW in an hour or so; and follow by pwning noobs on R6V:2 and stuff. I make sure I get at least 100 kills per hour otherwise ur just not playin as good as the other top level players out there.

This is basically like the same as exams - u gotta practice lots before the important clan matches and stuff otherwise you'll just get pwned by a noob. (Unless you're pro like me in which case even the clan matches feel like practice)

HSC
hollyy. said:
you can't do that for maths/english.
gahh your all saying very big numbers, my maths teacher recommend that you pull the exams apart, i.e. do all the intergration qs together etc.
I am totally agreed with you Holly. I study 2 units Mathematics (advanced), English Standard, Physics, Biology and Chemistry (total 10 units). I have to use dot point books for sciences and im using mathematics past 7 years hsc papers to practice. For english i have pratice essays.

As well as the sciences also have books of past papers to pratice aswell to get on your skills to remember for trials and HSC exams.

Good luck everyone!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
you need to do way more then that

by the time i got to the hsc i had done evry single past paper which is like 30 ( i done it in a week ) <- dont try this it'll take you way longer

you need to do a lot of trial papers, heinmenn papers which r really good, neap etc.
wow you did that many past papers but you're unable to take note of the "at least" part of my post?

good job.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have done like 30 past papers for Mathematisc alone so far. On the contrary, I have done nothing for MX1. I am planning to concentrate on MX1 now.

I think you should do as many as you can given that you have got solutions. That way, you know where you made mistakes. :)

blackglitter

HSC
I say do as many past papers as you can get your hands on - they familiarise you with the general layout and you feel a lot less stressed during the actual exam because you know what to expect as well as the type of questions they're going to give you.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lyounamu said:
I have done like 30 past papers for Mathematisc alone so far. On the contrary, I have done nothing for MX1. I am planning to concentrate on MX1 now.

I think you should do as many as you can given that you have got solutions. That way, you know where you made mistakes. :)
wow. thats dedication.
(like 90 hrs of maths!)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hollyy. said:
wow. thats dedication.
(like 90 hrs of maths!)
But it takes less time for me. I tend to do the less difficult papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)