• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Advice and ATAR Estimation (1 Viewer)

FridgeBoy

HSC
I'm currently in year 10 and subject selection for next year is approaching. Currently, my plan is to study:

- Maths Extension 1 (With plans to study MX2 in year 12)
- Physics
- Chemistry
- English Advanced
- Economics
- Business Studies (Probably drop in year 12)

What sort of marks will I need in my HSC to achieve an ATAR of 95+. An ATAR of over 98 would be ideal. Currently, my school ranks ~200 to ~300 but my cohort is significantly stronger than previous years. I am ranking first in most (if not all) my subjects this year and have achieved consistent marks in the low to high 90s.

I have a few questions:

1. What marks will I need to achieve my goal ATAR.
2. Have I chosen good subjects for next year (for scaling etc.)
3. What advice would you give me to maximise marks, and
4. Would you recommend 10 or 12 units in year 12? Currently, I'm leaning towards 10 so that I can focus more heavily on fewer subjects and hopefully get a better mark, plus extra study periods.

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
1) An ATAR of 95+ would be like high b5's in everything with 1 or 2 B6's, an ATAR of 98+ you would need all b6's except 1 subject, which u can let MX2 or MX1 get b5 since they scale so high already, but make sure everything else is a B6.
2) You've chosen the most highest scaling subjects excluding languages.
3) Don't cram, study consistently. I did MX2, MX1, phys chem and english. Excluding english, I did at least one set of past papers from all my subjects per week. For physics and chemistry i studied a whole topic ahead so that class was just revision and that I could fuck around a little bit. For english, write your essay early and get feedback from the teacher marking the next assessment. rinse and repeat until your essay is fire.
4) You can do 12 or 10, I personally would go for 10 if you're trying to maximise your atar.

FridgeBoy

HSC
Thanks very much for the advice. So what sort of marks will get me band 6s?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Sorry for late reply. It really depends on your rank and how you do in external subjects. Look up BOS' raw mark database, it will give you an indication of what raw mark you need in externals for a band 6. I think a user called D94 has it in his signature, cant remember off the top of my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)