• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC performing (1 Viewer)

janieee

HSC
if i want to play marimba or xylophone for hsc...would it be hard to get a good mark? i'm playing percussion for school orchestra at the moment...and i can play whatever instrument is on the score for percussion and keep in time...but i'm not those expert who can hold two sticks each hand and play 4 notes each time on the marimba. so yeah...just being curious. thanks.

RJO1988

HSC
janieee said:
if i want to play marimba or xylophone for hsc...would it be hard to get a good mark? i'm playing percussion for school orchestra at the moment...and i can play whatever instrument is on the score for percussion and keep in time...but i'm not those expert who can hold two sticks each hand and play 4 notes each time on the marimba. so yeah...just being curious. thanks.
hey janieee, to answer your question - it depends how well you play the repertoire that you chose. I don't know if you've seen a comment on... Performing -> Drummers Unite!! thread, I was talking about how my piece did not exsist physically on paper, but I played it... just gave it a title and length. I got 80% for my half yearlies and 90% for my trials, now I'm not saying that I am super or anything. Playing percussion in the schools orchestra helps... keeping in time also helps... being a mallet player who is a four-mallet player doesn't necessarily make them "good". There are repertoir for two mallets and they are technically and musically very difficult, and if you can pull it off, I'm sure the examiners will see that. So consider where you're at, the repertoire you choose and think this... "how many HSC examiners out there are percussionists/drummers?"... slim to none I would say *hint hint*. You can almost get away with mistakes :D (mine was basically my own composition... at that time was an improv. and I made many many slips here and there but managed to get 92 for my HSC mark). All the best!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)