• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Rankings and marks (1 Viewer)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone I'm just curious in chemistry

My rank is 1/13 and my overall mark is about 85 %. If I get a scaled mark of 90 in my hsc, approximately how much would my actual mark average to be??

I'm confused :S

Thanks

Thief

!!
HSC
I'm confused at what you're trying to ask.. but your percentage mark at school doesn't actually matter.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
I'm confused at what you're trying to ask.. but your percentage mark at school doesn't actually matter.
Doesn't it matter? So your ranking is what counts right. But how do they work out your assessment percentage?

Alkanes

HSC
Based on your externals. Remember, the mark the send in the BOS is irrelevant. Only used to see the gaps between ranks.

Thief

!!
HSC
Edit: Read D94's post, much better at explaining lul.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Since you're first ranked, your raw mark doesn't matter (same goes for last ranked, but it can be volatile depending on the mean of the cohort). If you're any other rank, then it does matter.

The raw mark by itself isn't important. It's the raw mark with respect to others in your cohort which is very important. Coming second by 2 marks will yield a better assessment mark than coming second by 15 marks. Your rank doesn't determine your assessment mark. A rank is an order, not a mark.

Now, since you are first, for your assessment mark, the mark you will get will be the highest HSC exam mark in your school cohort, irrespective of who achieved that mark (generally, unless there's some crazy outliers). So if 6th ranked student achieved 94 HSC exam mark and that was the highest, you will received 94 for your assessment mark. However, all students will retain their HSC exam mark - this can't change. So, your final HSC mark will be the average of that highest exam mark (this is your assessment mark) + your exam mark. But, if you achieve the highest exam mark, then you will obviously get the average of your own mark + your own mark.

If you're not ranked first, then factors such as highest/lowest exam marks, how your raw marks deviate from other students, the mean of your school and exam marks, any outlier marks, and a few minor factors.

lonelynight99

HSC
Since you're first ranked, your raw mark doesn't matter (same goes for last ranked, but it can be volatile depending on the mean of the cohort). If you're any other rank, then it does matter.

The raw mark by itself isn't important. It's the raw mark with respect to others in your cohort which is very important. Coming second by 2 marks will yield a better assessment mark than coming second by 15 marks. Your rank doesn't determine your assessment mark. A rank is an order, not a mark.

Now, since you are first, for your assessment mark, the mark you will get will be the highest HSC exam mark in your school cohort, irrespective of who achieved that mark (generally, unless there's some crazy outliers). So if 6th ranked student achieved 94 HSC exam mark and that was the highest, you will received 94 for your assessment mark. However, all students will retain their HSC exam mark - this can't change. So, your final HSC mark will be the average of that highest exam mark (this is your assessment mark) + your exam mark. But, if you achieve the highest exam mark, then you will obviously get the average of your own mark + your own mark.

If you're not ranked first, then factors such as highest/lowest exam marks, how your raw marks deviate from other students, the mean of your school and exam marks, any outlier marks, and a few minor factors.
Hi
I ranked 2/7 and my marks is 83%. The guy that comes 1st has 84% marks. The rest of my class got like 50%
I wonder if i got like 95 for the HSC exam, will my final marks be around 95 or it goes down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)